My mum says her legs "just won't move" - any suggestions?

My mother is in her 80’s and is struggling with her walking.
She uses a stick, but says her legs “just won’t move” - they feel heavy, and she says she almost feels like pushing her hips forward with her hand to get her legs to move forward.
She had a hip operation 15 years ago, and is fortunately in good health overall.
She has been to see her doctor, tried physiotherapy, doing leg exercises, and also acupuncture. The consensus is simply that it’s ‘old age.’
Any suggestions?
I thought maybe an Occupational Therapist might be able to help, but can’t seem to find any where my mum lives (Northampton).
Many thanks,

Richard, her GP needs to see her, to work out what is happening.

I agree with BB- this sounds remarkably like a neurological issue. Please get it checked by the doctor.

I agree g.p. visit and referral to neurology.

Thank you.
Sorry, I just edited my post to say she has also been to her GP (more than once), but no answers or solutions.

Thank you.
Sorry, I just edited my post to say she has also been to her GP (more than once), but no answers or solutions.

Thank you.
Sorry, I just edited my post to say she has also been to her GP (more than once), but no answers or solutions.

In that case ask the G.P. to make a referral to Neurology. As no cause as been identify. There now needs to be an elimination process. States your current concerns. Is mum happy to attend such appointments. At least Neurology will rule in/out different factors. And then refer on where necessary.

You must push to see a consultant asap. If things get worse you are looking at wheelchairs, toilet problems not getting there in time etc. It won’t be the gp dealing with this, it will be you!

You really need a movement disorders specialist consultant. Ask for one. You may have to go through a neurologist consultant first.

Having just returned today from seeing my specialist in London regarding a functional neurological disorder, a relatively new to be recognized set of disorders, please bring this class of disorders up with your mum’s doctors. See for more information.

Very interesting Rosemary…

Dear Sunnydisposition and all, I had never heard of Functional Neurological Disorders or Functional Movement Disorder before I met with a registrar neurologist at Guy’s and St. Thomas’s hospital in London. I had come from the USA originally where I’d seen movement disorders specialists for parkinsonism.

Many thanks for all the helpful replies.
I’ll talk to my mum and hope she agrees to see her G.P. again.
I’ll definitely report back as to progress. :slight_smile:

Dear Sunnydisposition, I’m very pleased that you found my post of interest and that you posted the full link! xxx

Thank you for all the replies and information.
Update: Unfortunately, despite my best attempts, my mum says she doesn’t want to go down the route of seeing her GP for a referral to neurology. The hassle of getting to the relevant department at the hospital, waiting etc…
She said she will make another appointment to see the physiotherapist she has seen before, but the only option would be something private, where we would pay for her to see a specialist.
The question is, what type of specialist?
She lives in Northampton.
Many thanks for any guidance.

This is what my caree suffers from, orginally called a movement disorder but that’s the long term name for it.
Just as the name describes, my caree has a lot of problems moving and no one seems to understand.
But yes this website is my caree 100% , the movement problems, the chronic pain-fibromyalgia, the bladder problems, the IBS.

So thank you for the link and the information

Good morning! You really do need a specialist, a neurologist and one specialising in movement disorders. The physiotherapist might possibly be of help but can’t diagnose or medically treat any disorder. It may be hellish difficult to get to the doctor’s surgery, but it would be worthwhile to know what is causing the problem and get a medical treatment plan in place.I

Does your mother’s gp do home visits?

I expect the neurology department at Northampton General hospital would be a good place to start, via GP referral.

If this problem with mum is making caring for her much harder, then you need to make it clear that she DOES need to see someone if she wants you to continue caring for her! Otherwise she has to accept outside carers or a nursing home.

It CANNOT always be about what the caree does or doesn’t want, because you cannot be forced to lift a finger for her.

Never forget a friend of mine who was caring for his poorly mum until she died at 104. Is this the future you want for yourself?!