Mum's case heading to Ministerial Review - Anyone got any advice, insights or experiences they would like to raise?

These posts are always difficult to write. After losing my mum, it’s clear that the home care she received was not just inadequate but made her ill and contributed to her death, as did the council who not only turned a blind eye to all the concerns raised but failed to process a direct payment application and vetoed any move to a new care provider we sourced. I’ve gone through the official complaints system and even took our concerns to the ombudsman, expecting thorough investigations. Yet, it feels like every step of the way, my concerns haven’t been taken seriously or investigated appropriately. The Ombudsman didn’t even access the shared folder with my evidence!

Now, there’s a new development: our MP is passing the case to a ministerial review. It’s a ray of hope in what’s been a very dark time. It’s not just about seeking justice for my mum anymore; it’s about shedding light on a systemic issue that could affect any one of us. Having set up a website to share the story, I have an inbox full of similar stories and concerns, and it’s heartbreaking; no one should have to put up with care providers who can’t or are not willing to provide care; no one should be dying because of it.

I’m reaching out because I know some of you may have navigated these murky waters before. If you have any advice on dealing with a ministerial review or if there are points you think need to be raised about the home care system at this level, I’m all ears. Your experiences and insights could be invaluable, not just for my mum’s case, but for anyone who might find themselves in this awful situation. It’s an opportunity to demonstrate these issues are not just isolated to mum’s case.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and for any support or advice you can share. It’s nice to know that communities like this remind us that we’re not alone. I’ve spent a few years now entangled in this system of answers, and I have had to navigate it alone. It’s draining, but when you know a loved one has died at the hands of others, you have to keep trying to get someone to take it seriously. I hope the ministers will. We will see.

1 Like

@Tiara_1912 the best advice I can give you is just be yourself and tell the truth, but have a statement written out with the main points you want to raise, reason why and what outcomes that you want but also highlight that you don’t want others to suffer like you have and tell them that you spoken to us on the forum as we would stand by anyone. There is nothing to worry about it just like a big job interview or a talk you are giving people on a subject. Maybe your mp or someone on their staff might be able to go through things with you. Create a time line to highlight things. Best of luck

1 Like

Good luck. I’ve never heard of a “Ministerial Review” before. Your MP or his PA should be able to explain more, I hope. I like to go to important meetings with a bullet point list, to jog my memory. I am sure you will find it easier than you think, talking about a subject you know inside out, dear to your heart. My top tip would be to take care of yourself afterwards, as you may well feel like a deflated balloon when it’s all over. Have a meal somewhere quiet, consider staying overnight if it’s in London.

1 Like

Thanks for the replies. As far as I am aware my presence is not required, it’s more of a review of the evidence followed by a decision about next steps. I’ve been told it would have more weight if I can demonstrate that other’s are having problems with poor quality care across the home care sector, that’s why I thought I’d give a shoutout to anyone else who would like to make the Healthcare secretary aware of the issues they are having too.