Memantine for mild Alzheimers

I was wondering what experiences people have had when AD sufferers have been prescribed Memantine?

My father has recently been prescribed Memantine. He was given a titration pack initially and is now on 20mg daily. I was wondering what side effects might be experienced as the drug builds up in the system. We have noticed increased apathy and withdrawal. The dementia nurse has said to be patient and wait and see if there is improvement over next 6wks or so.

I am just interested to hear comments. :smiley:

Hi Julie,
I have no experience of this medication, but didn’t like to leave your post unanswered. If you haven’t seen it already their is information here https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/about-dementia/treatments/drugs/effects-of-alzheimers-drugs

You might also get more personal responses on their forum https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/dementia-talking-point-our-online-community as it’s specific to those caring for someone with dementia.

Melly1

Thank you Melly! I will check this out xx

Hello @julie_2111

My wife was diagnosed with MCI over 5 years ago and the diagnosis changed to Dementia within about 9 months.

At the MCI stage my wife wasn’t prescribed anything apart from a change of meds for her underlying anxiety and depression. As soon as the diagnosis changed to dementia both Donepezil and Memantine were prescribed and she quickly seemed to be a bit ‘brighter’. The dementia has progressed at a slow rate over the last 4-5 years and there isn’t any way to tell if that pace of progression has been due to the meds.

One interesting thing that happened in the early days was that my wife began to display a physical symptom that was thought to have been brought on by a side effect to the Memantine so that med was stopped and her dementia deteriorated significantly. It turned out that the symptom wasn’t a side effect and the med was restored, as was her previous state. This showed that at that stage Memantine was having a very good effect.

Hi @julie_2111

My Mum was prescribed Memantine when she was first diagnosed with dementia. As someone on the outside looking in, it’s really hard to say how much it actually helped, but I always think that I don’t know how much worse she would have been without it.

I think if your Father can tolerate it without too much in the way of side effects (remember there are side effects with all medications, but it doesn’t necessarily mean the patient will get them) then I would say it doesn’t hurt to give it a go.

The apathy and withdrawal could be down to many other reasons, so maybe get the GP to investigate further.

Has your Father been referred to a memory clinic? That might also be worth looking into if you haven’t already.