Leaving home - package of support?

Hi Penny,
I’m sure they demand so much information just to put people off applying.

Sort out joint monies sounds complicated. They both get PIP though, that they can spend how they need/like?

Melly1

Penny, I know your daughter has learning difficulties, does she have Down’s Syndrome?
If she is classified as having severe learning difficulties, that is a “severe mental impairment” and so she is exempt from CT.
Simple to claim, just tell the council, they give you a form to give to the doctor complete, doctor sends form back.
The bank account issue is fairly straight forward.
They both pay into a “Housekeeping Account” half of whatever the rent etc. is, and everything is paid monthly by direct debit.
My eldest son and I have this arrangement, rather than give me “housekeeping” he pays all the utility bills, I buy all the food, and then we have a paper “Tally Sheet” for things we buy during the month, and settle at the end of the month.
As he works long hours for the council (he’s on Early Shift for a month, alarm goes off at 4.30am!) I am often sent of errands to buy wood for the latest project, pain killers for toothache etc. which I’m very happy to do, at least it gets me out of the house.
I would suggest that if your daughter and partner do this, then they should agree not to have a debit card for the account.
I’d also suggest that your daughter and son agree to have this sent to you each month. That will probably mean using a different bank for this account, as usually one person has to have one address. Another issue I’ve discovered the hard way!!

No she doesn’t have Down’s syndrome Bowlingbun. I ticked that box on the form though so we will see what happens.

I know you mean well, but my brain is addled today and I can’t really understand what you mean about how you do your housekeeping. sorry.

Bit further on now. Had a visit from the agency who social services contacted. Daughter still wants her PA to visit her once a week so she will have several hours with her. Every other weekday the agency will provide support workers for 2 hours each day to help her get organised. Things like washing, planning and cooking meals, catching buses, staying safe etc.

I’ll send you a PM about the housekeeping, probably easier. Having a tough time for various reasons this week. Decided I really needed one of the pills the doctor had given me last night to get some sleep and escape it all. Then read the leaflet that came with it. Shouldn’t take it if you’ve ever had low sodium. I know I have had low sodium, so that was the end of that idea!!!

Thanks Bowlingbun. Will look out for it. Sorry this week is tough for you. X