Incontinence Pad allowance

Hello Chris, My husband is living with dementia, depression, heart problems, CLL and has been using pads for a few years supplied by the NHS, but initially I bought them. They are automatically delivered to our home every two months and recently I upgraded the amount and density. I am told he is on the highest amount available but as this is the first two months of receiving them as yet I don’t know how long they will last. The proof of the pudding as they say and as we careers save the NHS thousands of pounds a year surely it’s not much too ask for pads.

Sorry Helena, first time using the site and make a mistake. I had senior moment thinking I was replying to Chris.

Hi Jackie. Yes we went through the GP who had to refer to District Nurse. Have to say the nurse was wonderful. The only issue we had was with the Bladder and Bowel team initially as they eventually said it would take them three weeks just to raise an order!!! However, they did get their act together and recently we had to ask for a review to get better capacity. They came up trumps and sent samples including a mesh outer pant which helps keep the pads in place much beds/chairs have to be sourced privately
As Naughty_Nana says, we save the NHS loads of money by putting up with this rationing as if it is a choice whether to suffer from incontinence!

We spoke to the district nurse today to ask if they could increase the amount we had but she said no they couldn’t alter the set allowance but she agreed it’s daft as if we stick to the limit and leave mum in soiled pads then the nurses would be out more treating pressure sores etc so overall costing the NHS more in the long term….daft really. We have found a super company online and buy the additional bits and bobs we need from them

Hello Linda,

It’s disgusting that you have been refused extra help when you can prove it is necessary. I know it is hard, but I would suggest appealing the decision by the district nurse. I she has agreed it is not sufficient provision then that is the evidence you need to prove they are failing in their duty of care to Mum. Don’t be afraid to write to your (or Mum’s) MP as, regrettably, often a short letter from his/her office will result in extra supplies suddenly becoming available.

It is atrocious that we have to fight like this or resort to writing to an MP, but Mum’s care should be their first concern.

Good luck.