Hello felling isolated

Hello I am Simon 47 single and care for my 20yo son and 22yo daughter. My daughter as type 1 diabetes and epilepsy, my son as type 1 diabetes and hypogammaglobulinemia. They both also have learning difficulties.

I have no family or friends to turn to, and everywhere i go they have to go as well. I never get a break and feel like I am going mad.

Hi Simon

Caring for two young people is overwhelming.

I care for my two sons currently.

Do you they have college places or are they home all the time?

Have you considered a needs assessment via Adult Services?,

There is a fight to get any help at all …but worth it if you can get the right support…you need a break.

Hi Cloudygal

Thankyou for your reply.

My son goes to college 3 days a week but as he don’t know how to control his diabetes so is on the phone if he is high or low, and also for carb counting. My daughter is home all the time at the moment as she as just come out of an abusive relationship and only come to live with me 6 weeks ago.

I have not tried a needs assessment as never heard of it and don’t know where to start.

Hi Simon,

Welcome to the forum.

Please know you’re not alone, we are sure that many on here will understand exactly how you feel and offer support.
Have you tried talking to the school your children go to? Most schools should have a good family support system.

Carers UK are running online weekly meet ups for carers to take some time for themselves and chat to other carers. Feel free to join if you’d like to and there’s no pressure to share anything you don’t want to.

You can find information on how to register to our online meetups at the following pages:
Care for a Cuppa: Online meetups | Carers UK
Share and Learn: Share and Learn | Carers UK

They also provide information and guidance to unpaid carers. This covers a range of subjects including:
Benefits and financial support
Carers’ assessments and how to get support in your caring role
Services available to carers and the people you care for
How to complain effectively and challenge decisions

Our Telephone Helpline is available on 0808 808 7777 from Monday to Friday, 9am – 6pm or you can contact us by email advice@carersuk.org

Best Wishes,

Lucy.

Hi Lucy

Thankyou for the reply.

I have all ready singed up for the next 2 meetings. just waiting to be excepted.

Hi Simon

The phone number will be under your County Council. It will be Adult Services.

If both qualify for Social Care help they could both get care packages.

Take the pressure off you and help them both to be more independent.