GP support?what carers services are offered by your GP practice?

I had a request to have a blood test, so
I asked for a test in connection with my arthritis to be added. It wasn’t. I asked for an appointment with my GP afterwards. No response. I don’t think I’ve seen the GP since before Covid. Today I’ve been told the system I’d been using wasn’t used much now, but I used their own link,I should have emailed instead. I knew the patient Participation Group should have a Carers Champion. It doesn’t, in fact at the moment it doesn’t offer ANY special services at all! Doubly disappointing as I sent the practice manager details of the Royal College of GP’s Carers good practice information before Covid. He thanked me, saying he’d not seen the advice, and would make sure it was adopted! I explained to the PPG chairman that I was well informed and an active member of the CUK forum. That didn’t seem to sink in either. Carers check ups not being done at the moment. Miffed doesn’t begin to describe my feelings. I’ve now given her details of where to find the current guidance, but I’m not holding my breath. Just worked out I’ve been a patient there for 56 years.

@bowlingbun could you possibly link me to the Carers Good Practice info, please?

I’ve had an absolutely appalling experience with my GP with my own health and that of who I care for. They’re aware I have my own health issues and accessing healthcare is incredibly difficult for me due to my own needs and around my caring responsibilities.

Was forced to complain about the experience and as a way to dodge accountability for denying me access to healthcare since Feb 2020, my GP has written a whole new policy intended to exclude me and other carers (and people like me/with the same conditions) from getting the care they need! Genuinely cannot believe how terrible they’ve been, especially as I’ve been with the practice since childhood.

It’s an NHS England document.
“Supporting carers in general practice - a framework of quality markers”.

You can find it here - it’s a Word file but there are apps out there you can download free: NHS England » Supporting carers in general practice: a framework of quality markers

Finding a safe free download is difficult, but I use this one, the site is the company’s own - it’s a German firm that makes a low cost Office type programme - the free version is adequate and is an open-ended free trial - you will get emails from them with offers but you can always block those: FreeOffice: The best free alternative to Microsoft Office

1 Like