Financial assessment for Dads care at home


Can you advise on financial assessment please?. My Dad is very elderly with a range of difficult conditions. He lives with Mum who is 90 and my sister and I visit and help when we can. He has carers in twice a day to help with getting up, shower and going to bed etc. The carers aren’t terrible but not great and we’d like to switch to self funded and a better CQC rated private agency better equipped for his condition as the less than ideal care gives him great distress (he has Dementia, Parkinsons, Partially Sighted and is incontinent). The other agency are a fair bit more money per hour. The current care was arranged through Social Services, we haven’t paid anything yet but are due a financial assessment via telephone in a few weeks. We’ve not been told a personal budget.

I ran the basic calculator on the councils website and it suggested he was not eligible for financial support. He gets state, private and war pension and basic Attendance Allowance. Mum gets a smaller state pension and Attendance allowance. His Capital is below £23k but above £14k, but they do have some house repairs and ideally a car replacement due. (Mum still drives). Based on that basic calculation most of Dads income would go.

Can anyone refer me to a more detailed calculator to get a better idea if he is entitled to anything? The basic one did not take into account any outgoings. Is it better to do assessment on phone interview or via form .(COM361 I thing ?). Can I get a copy of that for anywhere please? I asked the council and they said no. Is this forum the right place to ask these questions or is there somewhere else I should try please.

Thank you

Hi Les … welcome to an extremely quiet forum as I type.

Firstly , CHC / NHS Continuing Healthcare … a factor here ???

Worth investigating given the reported condition of your father.

As for the forthcoming financial assessment , you have the advantage over us as each LA will have variations on the standard
theme … the dreaded post code lottery … bottom line will be the final result will be close to any other LA.

The MoneyAdviceService web site is one of the best out there that details all the considerations involved :

Do I qualify for local council funding for care costs? | MoneyHelper

( Form COM361 … vague reference on the Essex CC site , zilch anywhere else. )

For expert advice , AGE UK would be my choice … given their field :

Financial assessments page :

Financial Assessment for Care Explained | Age UK

Thanks Chris, two different Social Services people have said no chance of CHC, but I will have a read and be more informed thank you if situation changes. One was saying he would need to be in need of regular nursing care. Care agency and family is kinda coping at present.

Will check out the other links re financial assessment, and yes its Essex.

Thanks again

Do they have over £46,000 between them?


Thanks Chris, two different Social Services people have said no chance of CHC,

… and what do the MEDICAL experts say ???

Main CHC thread :



Am I eligible for NHS continuing healthcare ?

NHS continuing healthcare is for adults. Children and young people may receive a “continuing care package” if they have needs arising from disability, accident or illness that can’t be met by existing universal or specialist services alone. Find out more about the children and young people’s continuing care national framework.

To be eligible for NHS continuing healthcare, you must be assessed by a team of healthcare professionals (a multidisciplinary team).

The team will look at all your care needs and relate them to:

what help you need
how complex your needs are
how intense your needs can be
how unpredictable they are, including any risks to your health if the right care isn’t provided at the right time

Your eligibility for NHS continuing healthcare depends on your assessed needs, and not on any particular diagnosis or condition. If your needs change then your eligibility for NHS continuing healthcare may change.

You should be fully involved in the assessment process and kept informed, and have your views about your needs and support taken into account. Carers and family members should also be consulted where appropriate.

A decision about eligibility for a full assessment for NHS continuing healthcare should usually be made within 28 days of an initial assessment or request for a full assessment.

If you aren’t eligible for NHS continuing healthcare, you can be referred to your local council who can discuss with you whether you may be eligible for support from them.

If you still have some health needs then the NHS may pay for part of the package of support. This is sometimes known as a “joint package” of care.


but Dad has about £1800 a month income with state, private and war pension and Attendance allowance. Their outgoing are quick big on utitity bills, stair lift hire etc.

Hi Les.

How to kick off with CHC ?

Two links which will be of immediate assisstance :\

Getting NHS Continuing Healthcare assessments done - who to contact

To be digested in line with the guidance given on the main thread.

Perhaps Professor Luke Clements’s video if you prefer a visual guide ???

CHC / mental health ?

This link is right up your street :

Allow a few hours to digest the above ???