Advice appreciated on care home funding

Hi Everyone
A little introduction.

It’s not been a great few years.
Four years ago my mum was seriously ill and spent several months in hospital. During that time a number of incidents happened, outside her control, that led to this stay in hospital being extended and left her unable to stand or walk ever again.
Mum returned home and a very comprehensive care plan was put in place which was funded by the LA. Since then, dad (who is now 89) has been primary carer and still living at home with mum.

Just over two months ago dad had a stroke and he spent several weeks in hospital. Mum then had to go into respite 24 hour care in the hope that dad may be able to go home and be joined by mum.

Unfortunately it has been assessed that both mum and dad now need have 24 hour care and dad is currently in a different care home to mum until a room becomes available and they can both be together again. I should say that they have been married for 62 years so it is obviously very upsetting for us all to not have them together.

Mum and dad have their own house. They also have joint savings of £45,000 although that is split quite substantially in dad’s favour with him having around £35k.

This week I am having a meeting with the LA finance team to discuss the funding of both mum and dad’s care. I understand that the LA may be looking into whether mum may also be classed as needing a nursing element to her care.

A couple of questions please.

  1. Based on the figures above should the accounts be left as they are or would it be advantageous for the amounts of money to be split equally, thereby leaving mum and dad with £22,500 each and under the £23,250 threshold. Or does the fact that they own their own house make that irrelevant?

  2. Dad has recovered well and although wheelchair bound still wants and is able to continue to do things prior to his stroke, including getting out to his model aircraft club and other meetings. To do this he needs transport and I am happy to take him to these events. He will need a vehicle to do this and we would therefore like to purchase a wheelchair accessible Peugeot Rifter. One of these will cost around £19,500 which we will privately pay for. Is dad within his rights to purchase this in order for me to then transport him around? My concern is that the LA could consider it a deprivation of assets although we can easily justify the need for such a vehicle.

I did mention earlier that it has not been a great few years. On top of this last year I was diagnosed with prostate cancer. the signs are that it is not an aggressive form and we are under the active surveillance regime and if it shows signs of getting troublesome then we will deal with it then.
Then if that wasn’t bad enough my wife had breast cancer earlier this year. She had a lumpectomy and a course of radiation.
As you can imagine it currently just seems like the sun never shines and this is made all the worse by now having to deal with and organise mum and dad in their respective care homes.

Sorry for the long initial post and hopefully someone can offer some advice.

Hi David.

For answers to the WHOLE situation , we could have a crack at them on the forum.

Why not avail yourself of expert advice in this field … AGE UK ?

Literally , a full m.o.t. … care ( CHC / NHS Continuing Healthcare a factor ? ) / finances ( Including PoAs and wills ) and all stops in between.

The choice is yours.

Thanks for the reply Chris.

I’ve already been in touch with Age UK and unfortunately they couldn’t really answer the specific concerns I have. Regarding the wider picture though I have spent much time on various websites trying to avail myself of the necessary information.

Financial PoA’s have been set up but the last time i spoke to the solicitor his advice was not to actually activate them as mum and dad are happy that for the time being I deal with financial matters on their behalf, plus I can do online banking in dad’s presence at his care home. Wills have been in place for many decades.
Another thing we would like to do is to arrange pre paid funeral plans which will remove another £7000 from mum and dad’s savings. Again I’m looking into this.

Your welcome.

Don’t lose sight of CHC / NHS Continuing Healthcare … if the care levels are increasing , more of a factor.

Main thread :

Motor vehicle / funeral plans ( Experts have divided options on these ) / deprivation of assets ?
( Age UK on the general theme of deprivation of assets : Deprivation of Assets | Age UK )

Defences against claims for deprivation of assets are always fun … one never knows just how strong they are against a legal challenge ?

In theory , a practical answer to a problem but … recommend expert advice … never pays to assume ?

( Age UK ? I’m a little surprised at that … CAB as an alternative / second opinion ? )

Hi my in laws own their own home (mortgage free) my father in law has recently had a stroke and is likely to go into residential care. They do not have substantial savings. My mother in law will need to move closer to us as is elderly herself… property here is more expensive than where they currently live. Just want to know if moving house will effect the funding for my father in law. Your advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hi Gill.

Same financial criteria will still apply on moving property.

That magic figure of £ 23,000 for starters.

AGE UK for the full sp on residential care costs and other considerations :

Paying for care | Working out the costs of elderly care | Age UK

( Assuming , of course , CHC / NHS Continuing Healthcare is NOT a factor ? )

How old is mum? Be very careful to follow all the rules.
Make sure you take proper legal advice from an expert in Community Care before you sell her house. It may be that as soon as the house is sold, then dad’s half will be claimed by Social Services as it’s no longer tied up in a house!!
Even if mum keeps the house and moves down to you, that will create problems as the reason it’s value is not considered will be that someone over 60 lives there. If she moves out, this proviso will be removed!!

Mum is 81

As usual Chris has gave some good links for advice.

When we had financial assessment for hubbys care, the council did 2. One with us as a couple, then another separately, with what we had split 50/50. They are supposed to go with the one that suits the person best.

Chris’s suggestion re Continuing Healthcare is worth considering too, especially relating to your mam.

Some solicitors have an extra field relating to ‘later life care’. Your local CAB should be able to advise if any close to you.

Main thing is you seek professional help