Exhausted sleep deprived, compare notes & share tips

Helena suggested this thread:

I think it’s an excellent idea Helena.

Yes tell me where to go Melly and I will happily join this thread!

A post was merged into an existing topic: January 2023 Roll Call

Looks like you have found it @selinakylie :wink: :rofl:

Quite impressed with the Kirland Sleep Aid suggested by Chris. I have only used once but although they did not stop me waking up, I found it much easier to go back to sleep. I do not want to become dependent though but I will be taking one tonight. I also find an electric blanket a great help even though I have to negotiate round the cats to get into my bed! I have seriously thought of trying to see my GP but would probably be offered a phone consultation and that is not really ideal with husband listening in. I do not think I need or want antidepressants right now as I know I would feel so much better if I could sort my sleep out!

Sending virtual hugs to anyone here who is struggling to get a good nights sleep.

2 Likes

Helena - I am so pleased the tablets have helped you. I tend to take half a tab about an hour before going to bed as that works for me and I am dropping off as I make my way to bed. Like you if I do wake, they help me get back to sleep instead of lying there with mind racing.

As far as the GP goes - be blunt with Receptionist and say you NEED face to face and even say ‘I have something confidential I need to discuss and I cannot do that by phone because of others in the house’. Unless they are totally thick they should understand and make arrangements.

I suggested to a lady along the lane that she needed an electric blanket - she wont put heating on as it costs too much and mentioned she went to bed fully dressed during the coldest weather. Her daughter eventually bought her one and I had a call one morning ‘Oh Chris, i used the blanket last night - OH IT WAS WONDERFUL getting into a warm bed for the first time in my life. I slept til 8.30 !!’ We have one and thankfully I splashed out and got dual control as G likes his side roasting hot all night and i just need gentle heat unless I wake, then click it on for a one hour boost. Oh te joys of ‘mod-cons’…

Huggz back to you from my fireside…

Wouldn’t be without my electric blanket, I got an all night one in case I need it on through the night in winter, so if I waking up and cold, I put it back on.
If I have aches from gardening or whatever, I have the blanked on the lowest setting all night and it seems to be the equivalent of a soak in the bath, we only have a shower.

Mmmm - soak in the bath - that sounds so good. We had bath taken out when my Dad moved in with us for a while a few years back so now only showers.

We have all night blankets and in mid winter they are a godsend - til you get out of bed and realise just HOW cold it is!!

When we moved to this house, I resurrected my electric blanket. Lovely to get into a warm bed in the winter and far easier to fall asleep but if I forget to turn it off (it is an all night one) I wake up far too hot. If I’m returning to bed with a cuppa then I switch it on for few mins.

House is very cold in the mornings here too Chris.

I have glow in the dark stars on my bedroom ceiling and I say to myself see if I can be asleep before they fade, it often works.

Another one is I put the sleep function on the radio alarm clock for the shortest time it will do and tell myself I will be asleep before the third song, I mostly am.

I can usually get off to sleep but its waking at stupid o’clock that gets me

I find that exercise helps me. I try to take a nature walk in a local park in order to relax my mind. Alternatively when I don’t feel well I draw Milo or play with him. Other things which allow me to relax are a cup of strong wine or lavender oil. Write down things in a diary too. You can even see a qualified local therapist. Let it out. All of it. Do puzzles in the evening or read books.

I don’t think I would want to walk in the park when very dark and cold! Would make me very anxious.
I know it’s not recommended but I will,if desperate switch the TV on in my bedroom and find something light to watch. Takes my mind of what ever is bothering me. BB,did I once read you do the same? Or I try to imagine I’m walking along a beach, listening to the sea in pleasant sunshine.
Chris, I had the bath taken out and shower cubicle in place. I personally prefer showers, although I understand why people love to relax in a nice warm bath.

1 Like

Pet - I have always preferred showers but sometimes a good long soak in the bath can work wonders.

We bought some Teddy Bear fleece bedding this winter. Fitted sheet, duvet cover and pillowcases. i kid you not, they are so cozy, you get in bed and are asleep in minutes. They wash well and you can tumble dry them.

2 Likes

I always find it best to stick something on the telly I really want to watch. About half an hour in and I’m spark out.

1 Like

I have a mini self help guide that I like to carry around. In that it states that examples of fun safe activities include listening to music and reading a storybook at night. You can also try the five things you see exercise as well. I used to talk about my own issues with a qualified therapist who was local to me. It helped me to relax and also process my feelings in a better and more productive way.
Seriously. Good luck. In addition a diary may even make a difference. Seize the opportunity in order to do a lot more beneficial exercise during the day time whenever possible. In other words feel free to make the most of it.

@Chris_22081
Do you just wake up and can’t fall back asleep or is after helping G that you can’t nod of again?

Melly1

I wake up as though someone has thrown a switch and find I am WIDE awake. Then can’t get back to sleep for ages, so rather than lying there tossing and turning I end up getting up to do something.

If Graham has a bad night that gives me several disturbances, which can actually be easier to deal with as I sometimes manage to drift off.

Getting up to do something means that often I get tired again and can then nod off, but not always.

Last night G had a good night and seemed to sleep through and I only woke around 5.15. I got up and made tea then settled to continuing to write my book (nearly 2000 words this morning - yey!) which helped. Went back to check on him at 7.30am and he was still snoring so I lay down and drifted off as well. Only just woken, but first job was change the bed again!

The other morning I came down and it was really cold, so I put an electric blanket throw over myself. Not used it for ages. It was so snuggly warm on a very low setting that within 15 minutes I was drifting off. I wasn’t cold in bed, but clearly something wasn’t right.

1 Like

Chris, I have read your reply and am thinking about it.