DWP Telephone Compliance Interview

Received a letter today about the above. Thought it was a scam as came in an envelope already opened and was from a JobCentrePlus- as I don’t get any benefits that I associate with JobCentre thought someone had been claiming in my name.
However when I called- not the number on the letter but a number off their official website and numerous calls/ being cut off/ holding on for in excess of 20 mins I discovered it was about my Carers Allowance.

I care full time for adult daughter so I can’t work but I am fortunate to have a rental income from a property I own which covers the income I lost when I had to give up work because the local authority could not provide the care required in order for me to continue working. Also out of this income I am paying a third party top up to the care home where my Mum resides. I know this is a choice and not an obligation but it is what I opted to do as the homes within the council budget were so awful.

As I understood Carers Allowance to be non means tested I assumed income that arises not out of employment but savings and in this case rent would not be assessed but now I think maybe that is naive. I am second guessing what the issue is. Any advice welcome.

Hi Diane.

DWP wise , Carers Allowance is NOT means tested.

Rental income ?

No problem UNLESS you are claiming any income related benefits … ?

Previously working … claiming CA at the same time … that weekly earnings rule limit ( Currently £ 123 per week ) … ???

Short of the above , I am bemused as you are as to the purpose of the interview.

Hopefully , just a question of touching base.
( Topping up care home fees … AGE UK link posted in reply to one of your earlier threads … https://www.carersuk.org/forum/support-and-advice/carer-disability-benefits/third-party-top-up-financial-assessment-37379?p=407486#p407486 )

Old threads might be worth having a look at.