Death of father / confused about benefits - seeking advice

Hi, I’m new to the forum!
I’m 40 years old and have been caring for my father since 11th June 2018 up until he passed away recently - 9th May 2019, he had dementia and chronic kidney disease.
I have been claiming Carer’s Allowance and Universal Credit up until now but I’m just wondering what happens regarding my benefits going forward.
Me and my mum have registered the death at the registry office and they said that now all my dad’s benefits will stop. I have telephoned the Carers Allowance Unit (Wolverhampton) to tell them about my change in circumstances and I have also contacted the Universal Credit Helpline to inform them of a change in circumstances. These calls were made on the same day as registering my father’s death - 14th May 2019 - 5 days after the death as we had to wait for the death certificate.
On 17th May I received an email from Universal Credit saying I needed to attend the Jobcentre on 4th June which I can’t attend as its the day of my dad’s funeral. I feel very upset that the Jobcentre already want to see me so soon after my fathers passing - I also don’t know why they need to see me??
Anyway, I Have sent them an email back saying I can’t attend because of the funeral. I have today (20th May) received 2 further emails asking me to attend a Jobcentre meeting on 23rd May & 28th May. I’m puzzled as to why they have sent different dates/times on separate emails when the emails were only sent 1 minute apart??? I’m thinking that I will only need to attend one of the dates but I maybe wrong??
On the 28th May my family had intended to visit my father in the chapel of rest and it would also of been my fathers birthday (88 years old). I feel I am being badgered to attend the Jobcentre meeting so soon after losing my dad and still very much grieving!!!
One thing I have heard is something about an “8 week run on” after the death of my father which I thought would bide me some time before having to start looking for work again.
I would really be very appreciative if someone could shed some light on this and answer some of my concerns.
Thank you.

Hi Stephen … I am sorry for your loss.

Carers Allowance … on it’s own , seems pretty straight forward :

__

I> f you were receiving Carer’s Allowance when the person you cared for died, this will usually continue to be paid for eight weeks from the Sunday after their death.
If you were receiving a carer premium or addition as part of your Income Support or Pension Credit, this will also continue for eight weeks.

Universal Credit ?

Are / were you claiming any other benefits which would have triggered Universal Credit being applied ?

If you were , that MIGHT explain the summons to the Job Centre.

Without knowing more , and given the stance taken by the DWP , it is imperative that you contact them in case their
next contact with you is the threat of being sanctioned … if you do not comply with their request.

The following link spells this out under Universal Credit … very contraversal to say the least :

( The main UNIVERSAL CREDIT thread contains several reported instances of their insensitivity. )

Understanding Universal Credit - Sanctions

__

4. Sanctions

In return for getting Universal Credit, you will be expected to do things like look or prepare for work. What is asked of you will depend on your situation, and will be recorded in your Claimant Commitment

If you fail to do what you have agreed in your Claimant Commitment without good reason, your Universal Credit payments may be reduced for a set period. This is known as a sanction.

If you are asked to attend a work search review but don’t attend and don’t have a good reason why, you will receive a sanction until you arrange and attend another work search review.

There are different levels of sanctions and they’re decided based on the reason for the sanction. If you have had previous sanctions, this may mean new sanctions will be for a longer period.

If you claim Universal Credit as a couple and only one of you doesn’t meet their responsibilities, you may receive a sanction to your joint payment.

I hope the above is enough for you to get on in the short term.

Thanks for the reply Chris. Much appreciated.

When I log into my universal credit online portal I can view my monthly statement showing what the benefits I’m receiving and the amount paid. The breakdown is as follows:
Standard allowance - £317.82
Carer - £160.20
Total entitlement before deductions
£478.02

Then at the bottom of the statement it says - What we take off (deductions)
Carer’s Allowance £286.65

I’m just wondering what has triggered the need for an appointment so soon after my father’s death.

I will call them today to try and discover why.

Your welcome , Stephen.

Universal Credit … made up of individual benefits and allowances.
__

Universal Credit Basic Allowance

Your basic allowance will depend on whether you are single or claiming as a couple, and your age. There is one basic allowance for your household:

Single claimant aged under 25: £251.77 per month

Single claimant aged 25 or over: £317.82 per month

Joint claimants both aged under 25: £395.20 per month

Joint claimants either aged 25 or over: £498.89 per month

Universal Credit additional elements

There are additional elements that can be added to your basic allowance. Your household may qualify for more than one of these:

Child element

Childcare costs element

Limited capability for work element (abolished for most new claimants from 3 April 2017)

Limited capability for work-related activity element (LCWRA element)

Carer element

Housing costs element

The same person cannot get a LCWRA element as well as a Carer element even if they are eligible for both.

Carers Allowance … replaced by the Carers Element under Universal Credit.

Different ball game … serves as a WARNING to ALL others once UC is rolled out on YOUR manor.

Main thread … full of nasties … 204 postings as I type :
https://www.carersuk.org/forum/news-and-campaigns/latest-caring-news/universal-credit-uc-rollout-schedule-mines-sanctions-changes-delays-reports-from-affected-manors-30601

#####################################################################

Insensitivity ?

A snippet from an article on the Hull Daily Post site today :

__

Mr Wilson previously said he missed out on payments from the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) earlier this year, as his claim was cancelled. He said he later received a much smaller payment than expected because, through no fault of his own, he missed an appointment at the JobCentre due to being in hospital for emergency surgery.

You have had a “change of circumstances” as mum has died, and I suspect this is what has triggered the interview.
As a carer, you were not expected to “look for work” but now you are no longer a carer, this will now be expected.

However, what I don’t understand is the indecent haste to summon you.

__

However, what I don’t understand is the indecent haste to summon you.

All part and parcel of the " New Regime " under UC , BB.

No prisoners are being taken … enough evidence in the main thread to convict thousands !

And … ONLY 1 in 10 MANORS have been infected … so far.

The EXPLOSION in food bank numbers … not connected ???

Our area is due to transfer onto UC next year, all new applicants are going on it already. I’m not looking forward to it!! Another mess coming for me to try to sort out for M I suspect.

Mmmm … perhaps a new vocation in life , BB ?

Manageress of the New Forest food bank ?

I’ll suspect the local poachers are rubbing their hands with glee ?

Hi
My father has also recently died . He was in hospital for 6 weeks and then transferred to a nursing home for end of life care which he only lasted a week in the home. My father’s attendance allowance was suspended after 28 days and my carers allowance reduced. I am also on Income Support. I closed my Carer’s allowance claim once I knew my father wouldn’t be returning home I contacted Income Support and they have given me a 8 week run in to keep Income Support and then I will have to claim Universal Credit from the day after income support ends. The income support has been increased as well. I can’t give advice about Universal Credit as I have never claimed it. It has just given me breathing space whilst we deal with my father’s funeral. I have found that whenever I have rang they have always been helpful but I know that’s not always the case. Hope this helps. I will still continue to read the forum as I found it to be a great support for thousands of unsung people who never get the credit for what they do for family members.

My condolences , Paula.

Just in case it’s needed … UC … what many will be facing over the next two years.

Once contaminated , there is no known cure :

Universal Credit: What Universal Credit is - GOV.UK

A modern day " Alice in Wonderland " for many … be very wary of those rabbit holes !

https://www.carersuk.org/forum/news-and-campaigns/latest-caring-news/universal-credit-uc-rollout-schedule-mines-sanctions-changes-delays-reports-from-infected-manors-30601

The sheer size of the beast … and only 1 in 10 manors have been infected !

Don’t blame me …blame the Government !

Hi Chris

Thank you

Hi Paula … your welcome.

Not so UC I fear ?