Covid vaccine allergic reaction

My son had the Oxford/AstraZeneca Covid vaccine last week and suffered a severe allergic reaction to it. He had a terrible rash from top to bottom, feet and hands included. He had breathing problems, cough, and wasn’t at all well. I just thought others should know what can happen so they are aware.

This is terrible -absolutely terrible. No one should suffer like this. I think the vaccine should be halted here in the UK while more tests are carried out.
I do hope your son makes a full recovery.

So sorry for your son it looks so painful.

I take a daily antihistamine for hay fever etc. And I took a paracetamol pre jab. Although I doubt an antihistamine tablet would have been effective in this situation. Has your Dr been made aware and have you filled in a yellow card.

I did still get a red rash, lump and bruising that subsided after two weeks.

What will you do/been advised - for the second jab?

That looks nasty, Maine.

How is he now?

I hope he got prompt treatment. How long did it take to go down?

Melly1

Hiya Karen, Yes I think they should halt the oxford jab. I’m really concerned, to be honest.

It’s not okay at all.

Hiya Sunny, I phoned 111 as soon as I saw it. I was horrified he did take an antihistamine but the rash did eventually go on its own. At one point, they were mentioning covid, but it was decided it was a severe allergic reaction to the vaccine. I spoke to the surgery and apparently, they’ve only had 1 other case the same. I haven’t filled in the yellow card.

Hiya Melly, Yes, he’s alright now but took a few days. They didn’t bother to come out to see him at the time though. I asked about the next vaccine and I was told ‘they don’t know’ what will be done.

It’s terrible, but the vaccine is new. Like any drug, it can cause side reactions in some cases. There is information that the AstraZeneca vaccine causes thrombosis in hypertensive patients. But hypertensive patients and so often have problems with blood clotting and a tendency to thrombosis. As for me, before the introduction of the vaccine, you need to do a clinical blood test, make a coagulogram, and people who are prone to allergies, along with the introduction of the vaccine, should also inject an antihistamine drug. Vaccines that have been produced for decades have caused similar reactions.

Hi Maine, I’m relieved that your son is better now.
The day after I had the vaccination I was vomiting again and again about 15 times in 24 hours with a throbbing migraine. The following days I felt exhausted and for 2 weeks I had a mild headache that kept reoccurring. I’m fine now.
I have since found out that my immune system over reacted to the vaccination and that is why I was so ill.

I think its simple, the people who don’t want the jab, it is your choice. I haven’t met a single person who has had a severe reaction…I am sorry for the person who posted this, but scaring other people will result in deaths…

You’re right. I do not deny the likelihood of such reactions to vaccination, but it can be to the introduction of any drug and these are isolated cases. This does not mean that the vaccine is difficult for everyone to tolerate. I try to track people’s real feedback on vaccination and the vast majority of people tolerate vaccination easily, there is not even a weakness or a slight rise in temperature.

It looks terrible, but I suppose it’s a pretty mild form of the list of side effects. I think with anxiety about what awaits me personally. However, refusing to vaccinate looks even worse. They say that it is worth limiting contact with household chemicals and allergenic products immediately after the injection.

This is true, it’s a new vaccine and we are all learning about it. That was a rare side-effect to it in my son who only had one allergic reaction to one anti-biotic 30 years ago. An antihistamine tablet worked at the time. Since then though he’s had a few blisters appear in clusters on his knees and underarm (that was about 3 weeks after the jab). They aren’t sure if he’ll be able to have the second jab.
I would point out to anyone reading this that I had the same vaccine but different side effects. I will still be getting my second jab regardless.

If people are scared by it then that’s their choice. Some people have rare side effects whether you personally know them or not, to be fair. Others have mild ones. It’s a personal choice whether someone has the vaccine. All vaccines carry risks anyway. Apparently, some have died so it can result in death.
For me, I am getting my second jab soon.

I’m attending to receive my second jab on Monday.

I’m all for the vaccination, but I think we should remember that for some of us it doesn’t involve “choice.” I’m allergic to one of the components in Pfizer and was given A-Z. Unfortunately, my immune system over-reacted to A-Z and and caused three auto-immune conditions that I suffer from to flare. I was bed-ridden for a month, have lost hearing, and am still unable to walk more than a couple of miles. This is a rare response, but it does happen to some of us. No choice there at all for some of us to be vaccinated.

Alison,
I’m sorry to hear you have had problems resulting from the vaccine.
How are you now?

This thread isn’t about pressuring people to have the vaccine, it is just where people are comparing their experiences and whether they had side effects or not.

Melly1

Thanks for asking, Melly1. I didn’t see any comments as pressure, no worries, just felt it was important to point out that some of us are unable to be vaccinated because of medical reasons, not because we’re afraid to have it. It’s a common misunderstanding. Unfortunately, I ended up with inflammation inside my esophagus, had to have an endoscopy and am waiting to see the immunologist. I’m confident that we’ll learn more about how the vaccine affects people like me and I’m hoping that new developments will make a difference.

Hi Alison, So sorry that you have suffered so much from having the AZ vaccination. That’s the same one I had in March this year.
I do hope you’ll feel better soon.
Sending hugs x