Costs of Caring in your own home

Hi everyone, I’ve just moved my mum into my home from her bungalow as she wasn’t able to cope on her own anymore.
We’re working out a monthly cost of ‘sharing’ expenses but I would really appreciate your help as I have no idea where to start and I don’t want to make money from my mum but as a state pensioner I need to cover the costs.
Any help or advice really appreciated.


The answer is more complicated than you might realise?

Is mum claiming Attendance Allowance?
What has happened to the bungalow?
What is wrong with mum?
How old is she?
Are you an only child?

The simplest method would be to divide the outgoings by the number of people benefiting from them.

Have you been in contact with Social Services about a Needs Assessment for your Mum, and a Carers Assessment for yourself? A visit from an Occupational Therapist could be a good idea to see if there might be any special equipment that your Mum would find useful?

Your Mum may also be able to claim Attendance Allowance, which at the higher rate is about £85.00 per week.

Hi Helen, welcome to the forum

Our help and advice line will be able to help you with this, do get in contact with them on 0808 808 7777 from Monday to Friday, 9am – 6pm or by email

Best wishes


Thank you very much all, it looks like I need to do some more homework

If you could just answer the questions I asked previously, we can take this further.
The answers are vital to find the best solution to your situation.