Coronavirus: What is a second wave and is one coming?

Coronavirus is far from over. Some countries are still dealing with large epidemics, but even those currently controlling the virus fear “the second wave”.
The second phase of Spanish flu a century ago was deadlier than the first.
So, is a second wave inevitable? And how bad could it be?

Coronavirus: UK must prepare for second virus wave - health leaders

Health leaders are calling for an urgent review to determine whether the UK is properly prepared for the “real risk” of a second wave of coronavirus.
In an open letter published in the British Medical Journal, ministers were warned that urgent action would be needed to prevent further loss of life.
The presidents of the Royal Colleges of Surgeons, Nursing, Physicians, and GPs all signed the letter.
It comes after Boris Johnson announced sweeping changes to England’s lockdown.

Dorset was almost Covid free, but I predict that the figures will change rapidly in the next 14 days, thanks to all the idiots that came to Bournemouth yesterday and today. I’m only just over the border in rural Hampshire, so felt fairly safe. Not any more!

We had the privilidge down here in Bournemouth to make headline news on most channels with all the idiots that turned up. My usual car par for dog walking got closed by the police (Not that I would have used it today) .
People can’t use the local park because police have closed it for the 50 plus gypsies perched on the cricket green. No one can use swimming pools because they are not yet open and half the population is still fuloughed on a long boring extended holiday so why not pop down to sunny Bournemouth !!! Please don’t even think about it.

The rate of Covid is not dropping and the daily death rates for this week so far, are
not going down compared with last weeks.
Once the pubs open etc the second wave will sweep in. Betcha.

We have thousands of BLM protestors out again today ignoring social distancing and advice to stay at home. this is the 4th weekend in a row and is totally wrong and irresponsible. If there is a second spike it is down to these idiots who started it.

Very useful post Thanks :blush:

I feel sorry for you! i saw it on the news and couldn’t imagine anybody with a brain wanting to sit amongst crowds like that. I think a lot of people saw the protestors out in force the last few weekends and thought the damage had already been done so what’s the point. We are quite lucky here in Norfolk because our beaches are just miles and miles of sand and it is possible to social distance. We have been a few times and never had anybody right beside us.

I live round the next road to your son and the roads around here were gridlocked with people going to the Beach and taking a short cut trying to find a different way there. they were cutting through the market to try to get back out at West Street hope he is OK

I’ve never understood why some people enjoy being in such huge crowds.
Beaches/Glastonbury/football matches/ etc.
I wouldn’t go near one if I was paid to.
“I’m not glad of loud rowdy crowd.” :slight_smile:

I think any person with intelligence knows a second wave (peak) is coming.

So many people ignoring social distancing, I think the sad death of George Floyd is going to cause the death of hundreds of young people who took the first chance to go out and parade. Then go home and pass it on to the family.

Black lives matter will kill more Black People due to ignorance and ignoring social distancing than the awful cop in the USA who started this???

Now we have Leicester closed down.
Some idiot decided to open the pubs next SATURDAY, of all days.
In 3 weeks more towns closed ???

Didn’t the government say they would go back a step depending on virus figures.

As cases have stopped falling, and they have spiked in some areas they will not be meeting the five tests.

They should not open the pubs. Its idiotic.

People lose their inhibitions when drinking. They will be even more stupid about social distancing than they are now!

No wonder they have stopped the daily briefing. They knew this would happen and they dont want to face the questions.