Coping with delirium

Hi again. Wife with Parkinson’s & other problems is having episodes of delirium. Was diagnosed in hospital around new year. Sudden onset of dementia like symptoms. Possibly caused by poor diet, not enough fluids &/or constipation. I am going to contact GP today but any practical advice on dealing with this?

Hi Noddir, sorry to hear your wife ended up with this on top of other things. I would suggest you look at this link from the alzheimer society but also contact them for extra help and support.

Delirium - symptoms, diagnosis and treatment | Alzheimer's Society.

Hi @Noddir … yes, I’m dealing with this right now… my hubbie has had cognitive decline for a while now but it’s really ramped up since the New Year. I suggest contacting the Parkinson’s nurse and push for another appointment with them - it’s really hard to tell where it comes from. The Parkinson’s meds can actually cause this … usually after they have been used for a long time though.

Last month, we went to the integrated elder care clinic at the hospital where they also have the Parkinson’s clinic and the neurology team… he had memory test which showed mild cognitive decline… they were trying to rule out other infections and they also lowered his Parkinsons meds. Anyway, going back today and we’ll see… it’s hard because my hubbie isn’t totally aware how bad it’s got but I’ve sent them an email outlining the situation and so has our OT so I am hoping they will now treat it more directly… having ruled out other possible causes.

My mums has delirium just waiting to see if she has dementia we are trying anti hallucination drugs but shes gone more unwell.