College course distance learning

I am looking into doing a distance learning course with sunderland college level 2 caring for children the course is 16 weeks long and I complete in my own time. I currently care for my partner who has crohns disease we have 3 children who I mainly care for aswell. I claim income support carers allowance and tax credits will me doing this course affect any of our benefits and do I have to let them know I am doing it. I havent signed upto it yet I am just looking into it .

Hi Meghan and welcome,

I don’t know, I suggest you contact the helpline:

You can email us at > adviceline@carersuk.org > and we will respond to your enquiries within 10 working days, although it can often be sooner.

Our telephone helpline providing information is open from Monday to Friday between 9am and 6pm - 0808 808 7777

Melly1

The government is talking about a sort of lifelong learning grant. Not sure how long it will take to turn policy into reality though!

https://www.gingerbread.org.uk/information/benefits-tax-credits-and-universal-credit/if-youre-planning-to-study/benefits-youre-studying/

This link may help scroll down the page and open each box. Have a look at carers allowance as it may be effected.