Caring and dealing with bipolar

Hi,

My wife was diagnosed with bipolar disorder a few months after giving birth. That was 13 years ago. Since the covid pandemic things got worse. She was sectioned a few weeks ago and is now back home.

Things seem to be getting better for her, probably the strong meds shes on.

As her husband and carer im looking for advice on how to deal with a bipolar person. For 13 years ive kept our family and business alive but i would really appreciate advice from anyone who’s been in this situation.

Many thanks

Mark

Hello Mark

This sounds like a very difficult situation for you, you’ve certainly come to the right place to find and chat with other carers, via our forum, who are in similar situations. I 'm not sure if you are aware Mark we are also running online weekly meet ups for carers to take some time for themselves and chat to other carers. Please feel free to come along and join if you’d like to, there’s no pressure to share anything you don’t want to.

You can register to our online meetups and find out more about the sessions via the following link
at the following pages: https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice/get-support/online-meetup it’s a great way to have a little break if you are able to and spend some quality time talking to people who understand what you are going through.

We’re also running some fun sessions and relaxed sessions called Share and Learn, details for these sessions can be found on the following link Mark Share and Learn | Carers UK

And of course there is also our helpline should you need advice or support - Our Telephone Helpline is available on 0808 808 7777 from Monday to Friday, 9am – 6pm or you can contact us by email (advice@carersuk.org)

with kind regards
Ingrid

Hi Mark,

I’m in a similar situation with the exception of my hubby won’t go to the doctor with his symptons. He had a breakdown a few years ago and was prescribed anti depressants. Unfortunately he didn’t explain to the doctor about his mood swings and manic episodes. And so thus was left untreated.

I try my best to cope with the highs and lows but I fear I’m now failing on both fronts. Yes i can see the run up to an episode but i’m finding it so difficult to manage the situation and feel traumatised by it all.

I don’t want to betray him and speak to his doctor but if I don’t the sutuation will just get worse. I’m not much help Mark, just a like minded soul lost in the fog.

Tia.