Carers Premium perhaps?

Hi everyone. I wonder if anyone can shed any light on this … I look after my dad and I recieve Carers allowance (paid in to my bank acc 4 weekly) and a bit of Income support (every 2 weeks) I just wondered if any of you out there think I might be entitled to Carers premium to help me along a little?


Hi IlsonLad.

Straight off the Internet … search … CARERS PREMIUM :


Carer Premium. If you’re entitled to Carer’s Allowance and some other means-tested benefits, you may also be able to receive the carer premium. This is an extra payment paid on top of other benefits you might be claiming.


How do I get the carer premium ?
**What is Carer Premium? | How to apply for Carer Premium?

You must be entitled to Carer’s Allowance. It does not matter whether or not Carer’s Allowance is actually paid to you. For example, you may be getting another benefit, such as State Pension, which overlaps with Carer’s Allowance and stops you getting a payment. But as long as you have an underlying entitlement to Carer’s Allowance, you are eligible for the carer premium.

If you already get Carer’s Allowance and the means-tested benefit you’re entitled to, you don’t have to do anything. The carer premium should be added on automatically by the relevant government department.

If you don’t already get the means-tested benefit that you want the carer premium to be added to, you must make a new claim. >

For example, if your weekly income is £1.00 too high to get income-related ESA but you qualify for a carer premium of £36.85 a week, you could make a new claim for income-related ESA and get an extra £35.85 a week.
You need to contact the department that deals with the means-tested benefit that you’re getting or want to get. > This will usually be the Department for Work and Pensions , or the Disability and Carer’s Service in Northern Ireland. If you’re claiming Housing Benefit, contact your local council (or the Northern Ireland Housing Executive , if you live in Northern Ireland).

If the person you look after gets the severe disability premium included in their means-tested benefit, their severe disability premium may stop if you claim Carer’s Allowance. Ask a benefits adviser for more information.

IF Universal Credit has been rolled out on your manor :

Time to check that ALL benefits / allowances out there are currently being claimed ?

( Council Tax discount , perhaps ? )

An online benefits calculator … yours now for the use thereof :

( Any adverse effects on your caree’s benefits ??? )

Feel free to bounce anything else off us here on this forum.

Many thanks for your reply, will check it out

Your welcome.

Any problems ?

You know where were are.