Carers needing to stay with cared-for person & the law

I was caught out by the 52 week caring away from home rule a few years ago because of having to let one person I care for stay in my council home for safety and because of issues directly related to their disabilities, while caring for the other (elderly) person I care for in their home.
Can Carers UK challenge this rule? I had absolutely no choice.
Now I am constantly stressed because I worry that because I need to stay with with my elderly rellie much of the time, (not all the time), this will be frowned on by local council, as I cannot always be at my council home. What are my rights as a carer with no control over such events?

Hi Pat,

I suggest you contact the helpline

Our telephone Helpline is available on 0808 808 7777 from Monday to Friday, 9am – 6pm or you can contact us by email (>> )


Hello Pat

Thanks for posting this question about your rights as a carer. One of our advisers will answer the question on 25 November, but as Melly1 says, if you would rather not wait until then you could contact our helpline at

Wishing you well