Carer's council tax disregard

I’m interested in other users’ experience in claiming council tax disregard for carers, particularly where two adults are carers.

My LA is insisting that only a carer in receipt of CA is eligible and have awarded the disregard to my wife.

They say that I have not proved I’m a carer because I do not get CA.

I’m currently waiting for a third reassessment based on the no CA requirement and two carers can be disregarded, but they refuse to speak on the phone and only email to say no without conversation.

I am confident I meet the criteria.

I feel confident that our CUK helpline will be able to advise you on the exact regulation wording.
They helped me on another matter and made me £50 better off!

Thanks, I’ve read the article on this site but the difficulty is in getting others to accept it’s correct!

That’s why you need to contact the Helpline.
The information on the main site is a friendly summary of the law.
There will be far more detailed information available to the people manning the helpline.
When I had an issue with Carers Allowance, even DWP said I wasn’t entitled, but the helpline gave me all the relevant information for DWP, who then accepted my claim.
There’s a lot of difference in reading something on screen, as the LA staff will be doing, and the years of accumulated expertise on our helpline.
Many people are carers but not claiming Carers Allowance, for many reasons.
Have the council told you, in writing/email, exactly why you don’t qualify?

No, I’ve asked what proof they require of being a carer, but they don’t answer questions only state their decision e.g. they’ve applied a discount for [wife] as they have proof of CA but not for me because I’ve not provided proof.

Unfortunately it takes a day for them to email and then nothing when I reply shortly afterwards so I wait for the reply the next day.

I shall try the helpline in case I’ve missed something

Only one person is entitled to CA if they care 35 hours a week or more.
However, there are 168 hours in a week, so if you are caring for someone who is very ill, you can still be a carer.

Would you like to tell us a bit more about your situation?

My daughter is 22 and was born with a brain abnormally. She also has a diagnosis of autism.

My wife has claimed CA on and off for the past 22 years, only stopping due to a short period of working/earning over the threshold. I have always earned too much to claim and as you say only one person can claim in our situation.

We have now reached a stage where additional support is required which has led to Direct Payments and client contributions.

As the contribution was high we started investigating other things. The LA deem her as having no rent / housing costs as she is not named on the council tax bill and we do not have a mortgage. So we were late in discovering about the council tax disregard which could have applied since 2017.

We are finding that dealing with the LA is far more difficult than it should be since these are our first involvements apart from school issues.

My first battle is to get both of us disregard, then I can start on a backdated claim

Dear Thatmanfid

Welcome to our forum.

I would suggest you contact our Carers UK’s helpline should you need advice or support - Our Telephone Helpline is available on 0808 808 7777 from Monday to Friday, 9am – 6pm or you can contact us by email (advice@carersuk.org)

I’m not sure if you are aware but we are currently running a series of online weekly meet ups for carers to get together and chat informally. People say they’ve found it really helpful and supportive and it’s nice to be able to take a little bit of time for yourself. There’s no pressure to share any more than you’re comfortable with. Join up details are here:
https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice/get-support/online-meetups

We are also now running a weekly Share and Learn sessions, where we run a series of fun and relaxed online sessions where visiting speakers who share tips and skills on a range of topics - please have a look at the link and see if one grabs your attention.
https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice/get-support/share-and-learn-online-sessions

Do join if you’d like to, we’ve had a lot of new carers join the sessions recently and it’s a great way to meet other carers.

with best wishes
Ingrid

I’ve just sent you a PM. Go to the top right of the screen, where it says “private messages” and click on the little envelope.

Just to update those who have taken the time to comment, I have received confirmation that I will now get the correct 50% discount and it will be backdated.

It took another phone call because the original assessor refused to engage with me, but I finally got someone wiling to take ownership and it was resolved in a day.

That’s good news.

With regard to the original assessors, I’d now write to the council and suggest that there is “an urgent need for further training on this subject”.

Yep, I started drafting my complaint earlier.