Carers Assessments

Hi,

I had my carers assessment recently. After giving them a timetable and my current circumstances quite detailed. They found I am not eligible for an individual budget as there is already one in place for the disabled person previously. They advised you could be assessed at the time the disabled person was assessed not before or after. Even though you are accepted you will still not be entitled to an individual budget only services like homecare for limited hours. They stated if individual budgets are in place they have to reassess their own budgets to get more hours/services not the carer.

However i got this from an advocacy service:-

See attached factsheet – “Carers must be offered a choice of the self directed support options (see page 6) to meet eligible needs identified in their ACSP or YCS. If a local council decides to offer you help under its “power to support” you should also be offered the self directed support options.”

Also, the attached Guidance for Carers states: “The Social Care (Self-Directed Support) (Scotland) Act 2013 is an Act of the Scottish Parliament that ensures local authorities offer Self-Directed Support to anyone who requires support services, including unpaid carers who require support to help them maintain their caring role”.

As far as I’m aware, there’s nothing to say that you can’t both receive Option 1 and in fact the guidance clearly states that carers should be offered a choice of options.

Hope this helps,

Claire

Claire,
have you challenged them about this?

Melly1

Make a formal complaint, they are not complying with the Care Act.

try …

https://www.cqc.org.uk/

Care Quality Commission