Carers allowance issue

My name is Tracey, I gave up a sales job 5 years ago, (2014) after my mum broke her hip. She had previously had a stroke in 2000, which left her with a feeling she was falling. she fell and broke her hip on the 9th feb 2014 and could not cook for her and husband any more., she is very prone to water infections (UTI) ,So I gave up my good job and went to mum and her husband, my stepdad, every day, monday to friday for the last 5 years with carer allowance for mum only.
Mum had a cardiac arrest on the 12th jan this year, which has left her unable to walk. I am unable to care 24hrs, so the option was a care home, where she is now, since 31st jan 2019.
Her husband joined her on 8th feb this year, and they seem ok… (not my ideal outcome for mum and husband), but as mum needs a hoist now, it seems the best option… (still feel bad).
My question is… my carers allowance is stopped, as I reported changes, mum and husband are stil listed as respite atm, what do I do now?
I have to get power of atourney, clear their home, still go to home and sort finances, sell property and apparently have had my carers allowance stopped… Im also worried about my stamp for pension…
So sorry if this is a ramble… any advice would be much appreciated.

Tracey

Hi Tracey … a sorry state of affairs to say the least ?

__

My question is… > my carers allowance is stopped, as I reported changes> , mum and husband are stil listed as respite atm, what do I do now?
I have to get > power of atourney> , clear their home, still go to home and sort finances, sell property and apparently have had my carers allowance stopped… Im also worried about my stamp for pension.

In essence , you appear to have everything of immediate concern on your radar.

Your mother … I assume a home owner , and her property , now vacant . being sold to meet care home fees ?

AGE UK have an excellent factsheet on the whole issue … available through the following link :

Paying for permanent residential care | Paying for a care home | Age UK

( HIGHLY RECOMMENDED ! )

CHC / NHS Continuing Healthcare / NHS Nursing Funded Care ?

Any of these ever mentioned or considered during what I assume was a hospital discharge ?

If I add the word FREE for the first two , would that spark your interest ?

Carers Allowance ?

Ceasing when the caree enters into a care home on a permanent basis.

A brief outline on the effect on all benefits follows :

__

**_Going into a care home

Disability benefits:

If you go into a care home, your disability benefits (Attendance Allowance, DLA or PIP) may continue or stop, depending on who pays your fees.

Your benefits will continue if you:

pay your own fees
have entered into a deferred payments arrangement with your council (where your care costs are covered and then claimed back later so you can delay selling your home)
Your benefits will stop if:

you receive help with your fees from your local council.
the NHS pays your fees (NHS Continuing Healthcare).

The mobility component of your PIP or DLA will continue if you’re in a care home, but stops if you’re in a nursing home.

Carer’s Allowance (CA)

Carer’s Allowance will stop if the person you’re caring for moves into a care home and their disability benefits stop. If their benefits continue and you’re still providing care for more than 35 hours a week, your allowance may continue.

Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support

If you move into a care home permanently you will no longer receive Housing Benefit. Contact your local council about help with Council Tax.

Pension Credit

If you live in a care home, your entitlement to Pension Credit is calculated in the same way as if you lived at home. The first £10,000 of your savings and capital will be ignored.

If you’re living in a care home and receive Savings Credit, the local council should apply a savings disregard during the financial assessment. This is worth up to £5.75 a week for a single person and £8.60 for couples._**

You are now considered to be a former carer , and a visit to the local Job Centre ( NI number at the ready ) should be your next step to sort out whatever benefits are now applicable … which should then take care of the NI contributions.

No information on your present abode … any problems there if no immediate income coming in ???

That’s purely my initial thoughts … others will be along … hopefully to add theirs.