Carer's Allowance eligibility if I'm receiving rental income

I have scoured the internet for the answer to this but am struggling to find a definitive response.

The option of becoming a full time carer for my mum is a growing reality for me but I’m not sure if I would be eligible for CA.

My mum lives in her own house. My wife and I live in our own house but we own a small flat which we rent out. Ideally we would like to buy another flat but we wonder how we currently stand regarding our CA eligibility and future eligibility if a second flat is purchased.

I have read that rental income is not classed as “earned income” for the purposes of an eligibility test but I’m not very confident about the source of the information nor am I sure if it would make any difference if a second flat was purchased.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Marek.

Straight answer ?

Rental income does NOT effect Carers Allowance from an income point of view.

( I know of one b.t.l. landlord with a rental income in excess of £ 120k per annum who still claims CA. )

If , however , you are claiming any other benefits … especially income based ones … a different ball game !

Do you REALLY WANT to care for mum?
Would you like to tell us a bit more about her situation, and your own?
Have you explored other options?

She’s 91 and suffers from age macular degeneration. This has had a profound (though not obvious) affect on her life and independence.

I already help her with a lot and I’m lucky that we live just round the corner from us.

i work full time and balance time with my work, my wife and then helping mum as best I can. I find myself becoming more impatient with her sometimes which makes me feel terrible afterwards as she doesn’t deserve it. I guess it’s me struggling to adapt to her growing needs for help.

She’s still incredibly independent and lives by herself in a terraced 3 bed house.

With her network of friends pre-deceasing her I feel I should be doing more to make her final years as comfortable as possible. She is willing to subsidise the money I would lose from my salary-“thankfully” my salary isn’t massive so with some juggling it could work. Actually I never thought if this could also be classed as “earned income” !


She is willing to subsidise the money I would lose from my salary-“thankfully” my salary isn’t massive so with some juggling it could work.

Be very wary that there could be problems ahead … especially IF residential care is on the menu :

Deprivation of Assets | Age UK

And … if Direct Payments are provided by the LA , another scenario to be VERY wary of :

In short , paying a family member to care ( And that family member is claiming benefits ) … either officially or unofficially … in full of risks !

Does mum have over £23,000 in savings? If not, she is probably entitled to subsidised help from Social Services.
Have Social Services done a Needs Assessment for her?
Is she claiming Attendance Allowance? She would need to be receiving this in order for you to claim Carers Allowance.

A couple more links :

Attendance Allowance ( Gateway to Carer Allowance ) :

Attendance Allowance: Overview - GOV.UK

Needs assessments :
Getting a social care needs assessment - NHS