Carers allowance - renting and Salary

Good Afternoon

Im hoping someone can advise me correctly? or advise me who to contact.

My situation is…I am an employee and earn £400 per month and have been furloughed for the past year - earning £400 per month.

My son is under 16 and received middle rate DLA. I am his main carer and I received £67 per week carers allowance.

I have a flat which my mother has been living in for a year now, and pays me £450 rent per month.

I done some research last year and was advised that rental income did not affect the earnings amount for carers of £125 per week. Is this definitely correct? The £450 rent payment does not cover the mortgage, factor fees etc, therefore I make no profit whatsoever. I could earn so much more rental income, but I do this to give my mum a home to live in.

I need to know that Im doing everything correct and above board.

Thanks

Hello Nicola

Have a read of the Carers UK factsheet on Carers Allowance here

Carer’s Allowance is not based on your income and capital (or any partner’s). However, there is a cap on how much you can earn from work and still be entitled to Carer’s Allowance.

I have read this, but I cant see where it clearly states the information I require?

If I take any rental income into account, then this would take me over the £125 a week. I dont want to be over the threshold and have to pay any monies back.

Will the carers advice line advise me better?

The rental income from your flat is not taken into account - the only income that is taken into account is that from paid work, i.e. EARNED income.

You could have savings of thousands of pounds and still claim Carers Allowance providing that any income from paid work does not exceed (currently) £128 per week.

Hi Nicola

Please contact our helpline, here’s the link to the information or please find the number, times and email contact info : Get in touch with us | Carers UK
They will be able to give you advice on your situation.
Our telephone Helpline is available on 0808 808 7777 from Monday to Friday, 9am – 6pm or you can contact us by email advice@carersuk.org
Good luck
Ingrid