Carer public liability insurance

I have been a carer for my wife for more than 28 years my life ended when she was struck down with Menengites an illness which was ignored by our GP.
We are both over 77 years old.
She is now having to attend for so many appointments each month I cannot keep up, I am becoming ill at the thought, on top of this there are GP, dental optic checks, shopping, cleaning, washing and more much, much more. I have done this 24/7 without any kind of break at all.

What I need to know are we none paid carers covered by any kind of public liability insurance?

The reason I ask I was talking to a friend when I noticed she had a broken arm I asked how this happened she informed me that she had fallen down while working as paid full time carer while in the home of her charge.

She was laid off work for more than five weeks on full pay, in addition she received a lump sum payment for her injuries.

The point I am trying to make is I have suffered numerous injuries in my time as a carer
Such things as a broken leg, broken fingers, all of my front teeth knocked out suffered very badly from aches and pains, anxiety, stress, depression. But I still have to plod on regardless.
There must be some kind of insurance cover for we unpaid carers.
I would be grateful for ant help or advice you can give.
Mant thanks.


Hello Sydney

Welcome to the forum.
I sense you are worn out with it all and need help and some much needed rest.

Please phone the Carers UK helpline on Monday to discuss what you have and what you are entitled to and how you can apply if you haven’t done already.
Carers UK information and support
Our telephone Helpline is available on 0808 808 7777 from Monday to Friday, 9am – 6pm or you can contact us by email (

I am not aware of any such insurance and I am sure if there was it would be very costly due to the risk of injuries, knee and back problems. I could be wrong, others may say differently.

For security reasons it is better not to put your full name, I have edited out your last name for this purpose.

It will be getting harder and more demanding as you progress through the years and wearing you out.
Are you aware of the option of patient transport to take your wife to appointments if you are not using this it could save a lot of effort but if you need to chaperone then you have to make your own way there, they are not allowed to take you.

Are you getting attendance allowance and carers allowance?
Have you had a care needs and a carers needs assessment done by social services? if you have are you due or overdue for a review of it? If you haven’t had this you need to do it and see what you qualify for, it is means tested for carers.

There are also charity services that if they operate in your area can do a sitting service for 2 to 3 hours, they don’t do any medical care, they will sit with and chat or watch tv etc so you can have a little break and rest.

Please don’t be too proud to ask for help or to receive it.
Be kind to yourself and find ways to get some breaks and rest.

Do check back for replies from others.

Hi Sydney

It is possible for individuals to take out insurance for themselves but it’s not clear whether the insurance company would accept an application as you’re not technically employed. You’d need to speak to a broker about this.