Can i claim carers allowance when i reach state pension age

I care for my disabled wife which i have done for the last 7 years and now in 6 months time i reach the state pension age. So now I’m looking to find out if i can still claim carers allowance when i am getting my state pension or is there something else i can claim instead of carers. My wife does not get her state pension until another 3 years, at the moment she is getting her PIP
and universal credit for both of us.

When i do get my state pension will that amount be taken off my wife’s benefits?

Just wondering if anybody can help me with these questions.

Thank you,
Steve.

HI Steve,

you can’t claim Carer’s Allowance once you are drawing your pension - which is rather unfair.

I don’t see why your pension should affect your wife’s benefits, but others might know different?

Melly1

Hi & welcome Steve

https://www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators

You could try a calculator as you can put in varies calculations. This should also flag up what else you might get. But be mindful to keep this as a guide. As no one knows 100% until a live claim is submitted.

https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/Universal-Credit-And-Pension-Age

your state pension will not affect your wife’s PIP but it will probably be taken into account for universal credit, assuming that is being claimed as a joint claim.

Dear Steve_19091
I am aware you have some benefit issues and questions that you need answered my advice would be to phone Carers UK helpline which I will give to you below. They should be able to help you. Also I am sure other carers will be able to answer the questions for you as well.
Welcome to the Forum! As I have mentioned above you are not alone in your caring role and other carers will understand exactly how you feel and offer support. Caring can be very lonely and the pandemic has made caring responsibilities challenging as many carers have been socially restricted and unable to attend social groups etc that is if you had the time to be able to go to them.
Carers UK are running online weekly meet-ups for carers and you can find the information on how to register at Care For A Cuppa:-Online meetups | Carers UK. There is also another weekly meet-up called Share And Learn:-Share and Learn | Carers UK.
As I have already mentioned we have a Telephone Number you can ring which is 0808 808 7777 which is open from Monday to Friday, 9am-6pm and our Email Address is (advice@carersuk.org.) I would advise you to give this number a ring on Monday to ask your benefit questions and they will be able to help you.
They provide information and guidance to unpaid carers. This covers:-
-Benefits And Financial Support which is what you need
-Your Rights As A Carer In The Workplace
-Carers Assessments And How To Get Support In Your Caring Role
-Services Available To Carers And The People You Care For
-How To Complain Effectively And Challenge Decisions
I hope you find all this beneficial and helpful for you. I would advise that you give Carers UK a ring.
Best wishes
Kristie