Advice regarding the police and the neighbours

I’d appreciate some advice regarding the next door neighbours and the police please.

I’ve had problems with the old man who lives next to us before and, in spite of the entire road being free, our next door neighbours’ relatives have been parking over our driveway. Also, the neighbours themselves have done this but it’s mainly these people’s granddaughters. One of these young women has being calling over a sarcastic and unpleasant “hiya” whenever I’ve visited the bin or shed and she’s been there. I have been determined to avoid any confrontation because of our domestic difficulties and ignored everything.

As I rarely leave the house (shopping, medical) and mum never does at all these days, contact is pretty limited but I’d had enough of this parking problem on Tuesday morning. I went round and the old man said he’d have them move the car. I waited to talk and, of course, this aggressive young woman started the confontation she’d always wanted.

I decided to call the police but didn’t know the number was 101. I redialled 999 and the operator was very good, asking me to get the number of the car. I took down two numbers and the aggressive one started calling me an “absolute weirdo” and blasting her horn: I explained all this to the operator when I’d returned to the phone.

The operator said he’d report the incident to the local police station but so far I’ve heard nothing. I appreciate resources are stretched these days but I recognise a determination in these people to up the ante and I wonder if I should contact the police again. About fifteen months ago even a district nurse needed to park away from our house because one of their cars had been left there for two days and one night.

Thanks for reading. Any help would be appreciated, David

Nothing worse than neighbour disputes. Hope the above link maybe of some use.

Isn’t it unlawful to “obstruct” a driveway. Presumably you have a dropped kerb? As mum is disabled, then you clearly need access to the drive for people like the Nurse. Take photos if possible, to show that it’s not just a one off, but a regular event. Could you ask the council for a disabled parking space outside your drive? I’m not sure about the exact regulations, but if someone without a blue badge parks there, it’s unlawful. Does mum have a blue badge? If not, get one!

Thank you sunnydisposition. I’ve just had a quick look through your recommended link and the way I feel about these people now - there are other issues - I believe talking without some authority behind me will get nowhere. I’ll read from this link in depth later tonight. Thanks again, David

Hello bowlingbun

Yes, it is unlawful to obstruct a driveway, whether the owner of the property is ill or not. Unfortunately, neither of us can drive anymore due to our illnesses and emergency ambulances have visited here as well as nurses. When I could drive I used a Blue Badge for mum. Believe it or not I have no camera or mobile phone so it might be worth investing in one of these, though I’m not the most technologically gifted. I had no idea whatsoever about a disabled parking space outside one’s own drive so I’ll do some ringing around tomorrow about that. Many thanks for your advice here, David

Dear sunnydisposition and bowlingbun

Just to let you know that I spoke to the local council and police 101 today. The council can’t/won’t provide a disabled space here outside the drive but if I call them and an offending vehicle is still present when their team arrives they can either tow it away or issue a ticket; they usually respond within 20 or 30 mins. I spoke with a police 101 operator and it seems a PCSO officer passed by later on Tuesday and no car was here then. I’d imagined they’d call to speak with me. But should it happen again, a PCSO officer can call to speak to the the offender. I think I must try to become familiar with a mobile phone so I can take a photo should it happen again. Thank you both again.

All the best, David

It’s good to hear your complaint is being sympathetically listen too. All sounds positive - good luck.

I sympathise, I have a difficult neighbour.

I advise not engaging with the neighbour in any way, aviod them as best you can, be polite if they throw a ‘hi ya’ over the fence, like a dog, don’t throw them a bone to chew on. Let others (those with power and the Authority) do the heavy lifting, that is what they are there for, to serve and protect the members of their community.

Involve all the authorities you can, Council will want to try mediate first, and may not want to become involved in any dispute, however they abide by a charter and have a duty to follow up and act on such matters, if they have evidence (ie a Log of events backed by photo’s and or CCTV/Video) then that will help them, if they have enough evidence then they can take affirmative action, which will benefit you, but they must get documented evidence.

If it gets outwardly nasty, ie threatening comments, shouting, use etc, even scarcastic remarks - then you are suffering harrassment, and that is a criminal offence, and the Police must be involved, they can impose an injunction on the perpetrators through the courts, with implications if it is broken. But again they need evidence. Engage them at every opportunity, so the events get put onto the police computer, this helps them build a picture also.

Its not a silver bullet, and takes time, but it is the right thing to do, such people need to know that their are consequencs to their selfish actions. The relationship with your neighbour will break down completely during this process, and it will be unpleasant for good while, but eventually they will bend to the law. Build your fences high and they will just become a small stone in your shoe.

Good Luck.

Thanks sunny. I’m not too optimistic but I’ll hope for the best.

Keep well, David

Thank you for your encouraging words Trebuchet. Both council and police appear to have been sympathetic, so I’ll hope for the best.

Very best wishes, David