Advice for Carer with Covid-19

Hi,
I care for my mum who has been classed as extremely vulnerable and I need to cook and administer treatment to her daily, I have tested Positive for Covid. I have reached out to seek advice on support and advice to Surgery (as had been advised to contact them) but they were themselves not able to advise and I was told that they shall let me know. The district nurse’s advice was to wear gloves and wash my hand a bit more (which I do anyway). As I wait for feedback, I am still delivering care, and she has started showing some symptoms (have requested for home test kit). I would appreciate any guidance or pointer to support for a Carer living in the same household who tests positive for C-19.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-stay-at-home-guidance/stay-at-home-guidance-for-households-with-possible-coronavirus-covid-19-infection

From the web site

Reduce the spread of COVID-19 in your household
Everyone in your household should take the following steps to reduce the risk of catching COVID-19 or passing it on to others.

Wash your hands regularly for at least 20 seconds with soap and water or use hand sanitiser. Cover your mouth and nose with a disposable tissue when you cough or sneeze, bin it promptly and wash your hands. If you don’t have a tissue, cough or sneeze into the crook of your elbow. Avoid touching your face.

Regularly clean frequently touched surfaces and shared areas such as kitchens and bathrooms and keep indoor areas well-ventilated by opening windows where possible.

If you have symptoms of COVID-19 or a positive test result, use a face covering when spending time in shared areas inside your home.

How to limit close contact with others in the household
Spend as little time as possible in shared spaces such as kitchens, bathrooms and sitting areas. Avoid using shared spaces such as kitchens and other living areas while others are present and take your meals back to your room to eat.

Use a separate bathroom from the rest of the household where possible. If a separate bathroom is not available, try and use the facilities last, before cleaning the bathroom using your usual cleaning products. The bathroom should be cleaned regularly.

You should use separate towels from other household members, both for drying yourself after bathing or showering and for drying your hands. Keep your room well-ventilated by opening a window to the outside.

You can find more advice on reducing the risks from COVID-19 in your home at GermDefence.

Hi Pritam, welcome to our forum

We’re running a series of online weekly meetups called Care for a Cuppa, have you thought about coming along to one of our sessions? We run them every Monday afternoon. People say they’ve found it really helpful and supportive and it’s nice to be able to take a little bit of time for yourself. There’s no pressure to share any more than you’re comfortable with. Join up details are here:

https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advic … ne-meetups

Do join if you’d like to

Best wishes
Ingrid

I recently had Covid symptons (but was not tested) and my elderly mum also got similar symptoms. Fortunately we both only had mild symptoms and have recovered now. Did not contact GP.
My mum has said that she would have been very distressed if I had self isolated for 14 days.

I think you should tested yourself right now? Because you already said you got the symptoms. Keep yourself along from your family members. If you are really affected by Covid-19 then there is a chance of being affected to your family members.