Government funding once my Mum’s money falls below 23k?

Hi everyone,

I hope there might be someone who can help. My brother and I had to sell our family home sadly nearly a year ago after our Mum was at the stage where she could no longer be looked after at home. She suffers with MS as well as dementia. Our Dad who has always been fit and healthy and had been looking after Mum at home, sadly was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer. It was at that point that he deteriorated and had to be looked after at a hospice, therefore Mum went into a care home. Dad passed away three months ago.

We chose to put Mum into a particularly expensive care home (£5k per month).

Needless to say the money that she has in her account is running down at a frantically fast pace.

I wanted to ask a couple of questions.

As and when her money runs out, is there any hope that we would get enough funding to top up her pension in order for her to stay on at the same care home?

and the other question, where do we stand in terms of how Mum chooses to spend her money that is in her account between the time she was in the care home to the time we request help for funding?

As an example, she has treated herself to some nice clothes over the last three or four months. Something she always liked to do before she was in a care home. She has also paid for a new fridge for my brother and his wife as they recently bought their first home together.

I was speaking with her the other day and telling her about my new business that I have set up and she asked if there was something she could do to help me financially to help get things going better etc. My immediate reaction was to say that whilst that would be really helpful. I don’t currently know where we stand in terms of what’s allowed and what’s not when it comes to money being spent. Mainly because I suppose this would reduce her money in the bank a lot quicker and results in us asking for funding sooner than we would have done had she not paid towards a fridge for my brother or if she was to go ahead and pay for some tools that I could use for my new business.

Can anyone help with regards to what we can and can’t do, or what sort of factors and information we are expected to provide when requesting for additional funding once her money falls below the 23k threshold.

Thank you.

Quick reply given the latest of the hour I am typing …

https://www.carehome.co.uk/advice/who-pays-for-a-care-home-when-the-money-runs-out

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information-advice/care/paying-for-care/paying-for-a-care-home/deprivation-of-assets/

Where is the money from the house sale?

Mum must NOT give away any money, as that counts as “deprivation of assets”.

It’s really important that anyone with limited funds is placed in a care home which will be funded by the council when assets fall below £23,000.

Whilst I understand you want mum to be comfortable, this is about to cause huge problems.
Talk to our Carers UK helpline as a matter of urgency.
Ask the council to do a financial assessment asap too.

Is mum claiming all the benefits which she is entitled to as a “self funder”? Highest rate Attendance Allowance?

Dear Simon_22101
Hi I am Kristie an online community host for Carers UK. I am sorry to hear that you are in a difficult situation but im sure with the information you receive from fellow carers and if you where to ring the Carers UK helpline telephone number i will give you below i am sure that you will get the help that you need.
So, welcome to the Forum! You are not alone in your caring role and i am sure that many on here will understand exactly how you feel and will offer you the support you need. Caring can be very lonely and the pandemic has made caring responsibilities challenging as many carers have been socially restricted and unable to attend social groups etc.
Carers UK are running two online weekly meet ups for carers and you can find the information on how to register at Care For A Cuppa:- Online meetups | Carers UK and the second online weekly meet up is called Share And Learn: Share and Learn | Carers UK.
The telephone number for Carers UK is:- 0808 808 7777 the line is open from Monday to Friday between the hours of 9am-6pm and the email address is (advice@carersuk.org).
They provide information and guidance to unpaid carers. This covers:-
-Benefits And Financial Support
-Your Rights As A Carer In The Workplace
-Carers Assessments And How To Get Support In Your Caring Role
-Services Available To Carers And The People You Care For
-How To Complain Effectively And Challenge Decisions.
Best Wishes
Kristie