Absence seizures and disability allowance

My son was diagnosed with absence seizures in February 2021. This is controlled by medication. I’m not sure whether or not he is entitled to disability allowance or free bus passes etc. Could anyone help?

Hi Kirsty,

it depends how much it affects him?

To claim DLA:

The child’s disability or health condition must mean at least one of the following apply:

they need much more looking after than a child of the same age who does not have a disability or
they have difficulty getting about

There is information here Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for children: Eligibility - GOV.UK

and speficially for children with epilepsy`; Benefits - Epilepsy Action

Melly1

Hi & welcome Kirsty

How old is your son? It would depend on how the seizures effect your son every day living. PIP is not awarded for having a disability but on how a disability effects the things you try to carryout. It maybe good to contact Carers UK helpline and/or you local Citizen’s Advice. If your son needs to be supervised i.e. accompanied and/or a watch full eye etc. It quite possible to apply for PIP. Likewise once in receipt of a disability benefit PIP could be a gateway for a buss pass. You could still contact your local authority as some ask for different criteria/s. And your son may well qualify.

https://www.epilepsy.org.uk/info/daily-life/benefits/free-bus-pass