A hobby for the elderly

Hi everyone, how’s it going? Well, I would like my grandma to have some fun but I’m clueless. Should I help her develop a new hobby? If so, what should it be? Thanks for reading.

Hi Erin,

what has she been interested in previously as this will give you a clue for a starting point.

She might enjoy feeding the birds, filling up bird feeders and watching them come and take their fill; or craft activities, jigsaws, colouring, looking at family photo albums, listening to the radio/audio books, dancing to music, crossword puzzles etc etc

If you tell us a bit more about her, we can tailor our suggestions accordingly.

Melly1

Dear Erin_2109
Hi. Im Kristie an online community host for Carers UK. Im sure there will be a lot of carers on the forum who can help you with finding a hobby for your relative. I am sure they will be able to help you. If you need help from Carers UK there is a phone number for you to ring which i will give to you below.
Well welcome to the forum! You are not alone as I am sure you will already know and i am sure that many on here will understand exactly how you feel and will offer you support. Caring can be very lonely and the pandemic has made caring responsibilities challenging as many carers have been socially restricted and unable to attend social groups etc.
Carers UK are running online weekly meet ups for carers and you can find the information on how to register at Care For A Cuppa:-Online meetups | Carers UK. There is another online weekly meet up called Share And Learn:-https://www.carersuk.org.uk/help-and-advice/get-support/share-and-learn-online-sessions.
The telephone number to ring for Carers UK is 0808 808 7777 and the line is open from Monday to Friday, 9am-6pm and the email address is (advice@carersuk.org).
They provide information and guidance to unpaid carers. This covers:-
-Benefits And Financial Support
-Your Rights As A Carer In The Workplace
-Carers Assessments And How To Get Support In Your Caring Role
-Services Available To Carers And The People You Care For
-How To Complain Effectively And Challenge Decisions.
Best Wishes
Kristie

Hiking, camping, photography, art, lots of choices depends on what interests she have.

How old is grandma? Is she fit or disabled?
What gives her pleasure at the moment?
Does she have internet access?
I’m a grandma, 70 next birthday, with some significant health issues.
When I’m not well, and movement hurts (like now!) I love doing family history research, looking at old photos of places I’ve known. I always enjoyed gardening, but can’t dig any more, so now I grow plants in pots on my patio, taking cuttings etc.

Hello there, very interesting thread. Actually I was thinking of my parents and not perhaps a hobby, but something that would allow them to boost so-called fine motor skills. I read that would help the elderly to keep their cognitive abilities. It worked perfectly well for my grandmother till she turned 90. So my mother copes with that well as she’s been knitting almost all her life. But what can I think about for my father I really cannot imagine. What can I offer to a man?