24/7 home care instead of a nursing home

Hi newbie (2nd) post.
My mum has had a shitty time since October when she fell out of her wheelchair breaking her hip and wrist. Needing a blood transfusion, nearly dying from a heart attack and low blood pressure. To be then discharged to have to go into rehab after 48 hrs at home. She somehow contracted urosepsis after being there for 8 days and had to be readmitted where she nearly died twice to be then discharged to a care package for 36 hrs before being readmitted yet again. We will soon be discharged again into the care package which is NHS continued care and provides 4 calls a day between 7am & 10pm. I have discussed my struggle with my mum being at home with the hospital and have left them to mull it over. I was going to move in and I was self employed so gave up working to look after my mum alongside the team of carers but feel that this is not the way forward as I can’t help my mum as she needs a 2 person team to do everything so I’m just there 24/7 to keep her company and provide meds and food. This is not good for me so they have mentioned a nursing home, I don’t want to put my mum in a nursing home and she will not want to go. Is there a way of getting 24/7 home care?

Others here may know better, but I don’t think 24x7 ‘free’ homecare exists does it? If she is going to be self-paying then of course she can have what she wants!

If she is already getting CHC she’s doing pretty well! It’s hens teeth trying to qualify for it.

The thing is, though, if she needs TWO people to help her ALL the time, then ONE person providing 24x7 care live in still won’t be able to cope, any more than you could were you to move in… Unless you envisage moving in as well as the live-in carer to provide the ‘second person’??

Sadly, it is when someone is beyond the help of a single person that nursing homes and care homes come into their own, as they have teams of staff available. My late MIL was immobile, and had to be hoisted in and out of her padded wheelchair, or bathed, etc etc. One member of staff alone could not do it - she needed a team of people.

NHS Continuing Healthcare ?

Said care delivered in a nursing home or at home ?

Main thread :

https://www.carersuk.org/forum/support-and-advice/all-about-caring/chc-nhs-continuing-healthcare-chapter-and-verse-under-one-thread-guidelines-and-links-32532

From that thread :

__

What happens if I’m eligible for NHS continuing healthcare ?

If you’re found to be eligible for NHS continuing healthcare

The CCG will discuss with you what care and support you need - this could be at home or in a care home.

The package of care and support that’s agreed upon will be reviewed after three months and then at least every year.

You will also have the right to ask for a Personal Health Budget, which can give you more choice over the services and care you receive. However, this can’t be used to pay for care home fees.

If your care needs change in the future, your funding arrangements may also change. You have a right to challenge this decision.
>

__

“ The NHS said they will only provide Continuing Healthcare Funding in a nursing home, not a residential home. Is this right ?”
It doesn’t matter whether a person is in a residential home or a nursing home – or in their own home – NHS Continuing Healthcare funding is available to people who need full time care and who meet certain criteria in terms of their day-to-day health needs. The type of home the person is in is irrelevant.

The National Framework guidelines make this clear.

… and a whole lot more … especially who SHOULD be doing what !

I get what your saying Jenny. And this is my point Chris 2hrs a day over a 15 hour period surely is not care? A friend of mine was part of a 24/7 caring team which was paid for by direct payment. I just feel that I along with other carers are shafted into placing their loved ones into homes against their wishes because the options are hard to find or don’t exist

Any deviation from the care package " Agreed " during the NHS Continuing Healthcare package ?

Seems so ?

Remedies available … again , the main thread will be of assistance.

Section :

Interesting web sites for problem solving.

Separate links available off that heading for guidance.

The thing is, though, that in a care home, the costs (most notably, staff) are shared amongst many residents, so the ‘cost per resident’ is a fraction, surely, of what it would be if there were one paid-carer living with a caree in their own home.

And if the caree actually needed TWO people living in with them, because one person along couldn’t do it, the cost would be phenomenal!

ONE caree would require the ENTIRE salary of a carer paid for them, and them alone - or, even worse, TWO entire salaries.

It would be interesting to see how much money would be given to your mum if she were told to hire her own 24x7 live in carer. Would it really be the equivalent of an entire salary for another person???

(As I say, this isn’t my area, but it just seems that expecting the NHS to fund the salary of one entire person who exists solely to provide care for a single caree 24x7, is highly excessive - compared with what that single carer could do if they worked in a nursing home, and were able to use their time on other patients as well.)

(It’s like hiring a governess for a child, rather than the child going to school - the teacher’s salary is shared amongst many pupils, not just dedicated to a single one, as a governess’s salary is!)

I haven’t been told what is in the care plan Chris at the time it was made my mum was been sent home to die and that’s why I said I would stay with her and accept 4 care calls a day. Sorry Jenny I think we are at crossed wires I was looking at a team of carers to provide care lnot 1 person. A friend of mine provided such care for a client who paid using direct payment.

__

I haven’t been told what is in the care plan.

ALARM BELLS … an unsafe hospital discharge ???

In your absence , anyone from the local PALS team representing you , or your mother’s interests ?

Time to step back one step … the BIBLE on hospital discharges :

Being discharged from hospital - NHS

Have a read … then return to us here on the forum.

Potential end of life care ?

Beyond my experiece but … link to the NHS site dealing with this subject :

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/end-of-life-care/what-it-involves-and-when-it-starts/

IF NEEDED …hopefully , others readers will add their thoughts / recommendations on palliative care.

I haven’t been told what is in the care plan Chris at the time it was made my mum was been sent home to die and that’s why I said I would stay with her and accept 4 care calls a day. Sorry Jenny I think we are at crossed wires I was looking at a team of carers to provide care lnot 1 person. A friend of mine provided such care for a client who paid using direct payment.