support

:smiley: hi I’m new to this site not sure what help and support I can get

Hello Stacey and welcome to our forum

The forum is here to provide peer advice and support to those caring for friends/relatives in an unpaid non-professional capacity - if you’d like to tell us a little about your caring situation and any particular problems facing you I’m sure some of our members will be along shortly to impart pearls of wisdom from their own experiences :slight_smile:

Hello Stacey

Welcome to our forum, I’m not sure if you are aware but we are currently running a series of online weekly meet ups for carers to get together and chat informally. People say they’ve found it really helpful and supportive and it’s nice to be able to take a little bit of time for yourself. There’s no pressure to share any more than you’re comfortable with. Join up details are here:
https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice/get-support/online-meetups

We are also now running a weekly Share and Learn sessions, where we run a series of fun and relaxed online sessions where visiting speakers who share tips and skills on a range of topics - please have a look at the link and see if one grabs your attention. Share and Learn | Carers UK

Do join if you’d like to, we’ve had a lot of new carers join the sessions recently and it’s a great way to meet other carers.

There is also Carers UK’s helpline should you need advice or support - Our Telephone Helpline is available on 0808 808 7777 from Monday to Friday, 9am – 6pm or you can contact us by email (advice@carersuk.org)

with best wishes
Ingrid

Heya and welcome to the community. Please feel free to take a close look around etc if you can. I find it helpful to meet up with other carers who help to care for their disabled family members in order to face my not so bad reality, share tips and so on.

Get a care needs assessment done and also fill out our state of caring survey on here too as well if you have the chance to do so. Apply to your local council tomorrow first thing to start the entire application process. Best of luck to you.

A qualified social worker will conduct the whole thing at your home with you so be very truthful at all times. Answer all the questions that are asked of you and make brief summary notes. Get help when applying for it. You can do this though.

The required interview is not easy to do. When I had my own care needs assessment interview years ago I found it more helpful to discuss what I could do already for myself vs what I could not. But this is against their rules.

Read the final assessment report carefully looking for mistakes. Circle them in red. And definitely apply for benefits.