Practical help

I have just joined the forum and would like to be in touch with other carers.
Help with practical and keeping sane.

Hi Lynda, welcome to the forum.
I have had a total of ten carees, from new born to 87!!
Now just my son with learning difficulties, aged 43, who now lives in his own flat.
Would you like to tell us more about yourself, and who you care for.
Most people find the forum when they are stressed and feel something must change.
Tell us what you want to change most of all.

Join a local carers group.

Hello

If you have a local Carers Group in your area I agree with Sunnydispostion this is a good starting point. If it is going to be hard to get to the meetings, many of the groups have telephone befrienders - they have often been Carers themselves, and this really helped me. I have a local group but have struggled to get to the meetings.

I would encourage you to try and carve out some ‘me’ time and hobbies and I do realise how very hard this is. Please tell us a little more about your own circumstances.

Hi Lynda

As a forum ambassador I wanted to welcome you to the forum and highlight a couple of different options for connecting with others and for getting support from Carers UK should you need it.

Carers UK run online weekly meet ups for carers to take some time for themselves and chat to other carers. Feel free to join if you’d like to and there’s no pressure to share anything you don’t want to. I’m sure you’ll find many other carers are in a similar situation to yourself.

You can find information on how to register to our online meetups at the following pages:

Care for a Cuppa: Online meetups | Carers UK - the next online meet up is next Tuesday 11.00-12.00 with further sessions shown in that link. This social is a great way to have a little break if you are able to and spend some quality time talking to people who understand what you are going through right now.

Share and Learn: Share and Learn | Carers Scotland - these sessions range from creative writing activities to beginners Latin dance sessions.

I suggest you also get in touch with the Carers UK helpline to discussion your situation and what support is available

The Carers UK Telephone Helpline is available on 0808 808 7777 from Monday to Friday, 9am – 6pm or you can contact us by email (advice@carersuk.org). They can help provide support and guidance on:

• Benefits and financial support
  • Your rights as a carer in the workplace
  • Carers’ assessments and how to get support in your caring role
  • Services available to carers and the people you care for
  • How to complain effectively and challenge decisions