POA, will they take her away?

I am a carer for my mother who has Parkinsons and more recently Parkinson’s dementia. We are in Scotland, and we are reaching a stage where she will probably need to go into long term care and we are thinking about starting with a period of respite.

However, last year a cpn who started visiting seemingly ignored our requests to make a referral for severe panic attacks. For some reason she was resistant and was more enthusiastic about my mother going into care than a referral. I put in a complaint to the NHS and they upheld it earlier this year, and said the nurse would now make a care plan regarding this.
The nurse saw us again and said she would make psychology referral. During the summer she gave false updates as I found out last week she didn’t make the referral until end of August, the day after her gp emailed her enquiring about it.

I’m the only one caring for her right now and Social services, her gp, OT, everyone, are starting to apply the pressure to get me to put her in a home. Whilst I agree this is probably the next step, I feel it should be done the right way, instead of right away. Which includes beginning therapy for her severe panic attacks, which has been ignored constantly.

I should, hopefully, have poa documents arriving this week. But can they over-ride it?

She is in no danger, happy at home right now, has fluctuating capacity still, but they all seem so keen to do it so fast all of a sudden. Social worker has emailed me saying we don’t need to deal with psychology first before she enters long term care. Will my poa documents help me with this?

Hi George,

I can understand your reasoning, you’d like her to be feeling less anxious before such a big change. I would too if it was my Mum.

I only have limited understanding of POA. I’m assuming you have applied for both the health abs well-being one as well as the one for finances?

The NHS website states,

Health and welfare LPA

A health and welfare LPA gives your attorney the power to make decisions about your daily routine (washing, dressing, eating), medical care, moving into a care home and life-sustaining medical treatment. It can only be used if you’re unable to make your own decisions.

I’m England, social workers are usually keen for people to have care in their own home until four care visits a day aren’t enough anymore (it’s cheaper). However, the Scottish system is different.

I suggest you contact the Carers Uk helpline or Age Uk or the Parkinson’s charity for more Scottish specific guidance.

Melly1