Is state pension included in financial assessment

Hi - I’m struggling to get any answers from the local social services dept so thought I would try here for some advice. My Mum is about to go into permanent care. She has had dementia for 4 years and, although we have tried to manage her needs whilst working full-time, it is now time for her to be looked after 24/7. She has no savings but owns her own property. I understand that I will have to sell the property to pay for her care (I have LPA). I have read that if she is a ‘self funder’ she will still receive her pension and attendance allowance. However, will this be regarded as income and be part of the financial assessment? If so, how does the local authority ‘take back’ the money? Do they pay the pension and then submit an invoice to get it back? What happens to the house funds? Do you keep the money in a separate account and simply pay their monthly invoices? Do they calculate how long the funds will last? I’ve no idea how it works but am worrying how I will manage it all without any information. I’ve googled as much as I can but it’s very confusing.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here’s an introduction to the whole complicated business of what to do now.
Do NOT believe everything a social worker tells you. I reclaimed £8,000 when Hampshire over charged mum!

Carers UK has a helpline, be sure to talk to them.

Start by Googling “Charging for Residential Care”.
Further details in the 2014 Care Act Regulations.
Also look at the NHS Continuing Healthcare Framework.
Google “Grogan NHS Continuing Healthcare”.

Mum really ought to have an NHS assessment now.
Once that has been done, and not before, she should be entitled to “Funded Nursing Care” if she is going into a nursing home.

However, tell us more about the house. Have you been living there to care for mum?
If so, it can be discounted.
Do you own or rent your home? Would you like to live in mum’s house and sell yours?

For the first few weeks, only the person’s income is taken into account.
After a period, the value of the house will then be considered.
Under some circumstances, the council can pay the immediate fees, and then put a “charge” on the value of the house, when it’s sold, they claim back whatever they spent on fees.

Thank you for responding!
No, I have my own house and live there. Mum has been living in her own home since my Dad died 9 years ago.
Since her diagnosis of dementia (4 years ago) she has been claiming attendance allowance. Until she went into care (last Monday) the AA has been used to pay for the carers who have been visiting her 4 times a day. Now, she has gone into care I have been told that the first 2 weeks will be regarded as ‘respite’ until they do an assessment to determine if she will stay permanently. If she stays permanently I will have to pay for the fees using the family home which my mother owns outright (I have LPA). I understand that she is still entitled to her state pension and AA if she pays for her care (using the funds from the family home). My question is do they also take into consideration the state pension and AA?
What are the mechanics of selling the home and dealing with the funds? Do you sell it and put the money into your own account? Does the local authority work out how many years of care it will provide? How does it work?

The CUK Advice line will be able to explain better than me.
If mum has no savings and is already in a home, then the council should pay her fees for the time being, and then claim back once the house is sold.
They should do a full financial assessment before charging anything.

Make sure you ask for the NHS Continuing Healthcare Assessment asap, because IF mum qualifies, all her care is entirely FREE! Unfortunately, it’s a postcode lottery. Even if you are told she won’t qualify, make sure the assessment is done properly. A later one can then be compared with the first one and deterioration can be measured.

The first ?12 weeks mum should only be charged on her income, pension + AA.
The person doing the assessment is usually from the financial unit, not a social worker.

IF the council is paying the fees, then YES, they will include the pension as income.
Attendance Allowance will NOT be payable.

The client will be left with about £25 a week “personal expenses”.

If the council is not paying the fees, but the client is, then both the pension and AA will be payable plus the FNC - Funded Nursing Care Allowance.
The client will have to continue paying the fees until capital falls below about £23,000.

If the care is funded by NHS Continuing Healthcare, it’s the same as if in hospital, completely FREE!

The home will have negotiated a lower weekly rate for CHC and the LA, BUT private residents will pay a much higher rate.

It’s all so horribly unfair.

If your mother will be self-funding for a fair length of time (presumably, as she has a property), then there should be an option not to bother with a full financial assessment.

In my own mother’s case (substantial savings and a property), if I remember correctly, we just ticked a box on the financial assessment form confirming that she had adequate funds and would not be applying for LA funding.

Forgot to say … she also retained all her pensions (both state and private) and AA.

Before your financial assessment, make sure you get all the benefits you’re entitled to. This is important because your contribution to your home fees will be based on all income, including benefits.

When you pay towards your home fees, you must have £27.19 remaining a week to spend as you want. This is known as the Personal Expenses Allowance (PEA). If you get the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance, you will keep getting it.
If you have over £23,250 in capital, the Trust assesses you as able to pay for all your care.
The local Trust will tell you how much they usually pay for a residential care or nursing home that will meet your needs. They will arrange a suitable residential care or nursing home for you.