Hi I’m new here

I used to get incredibly frustrated by my mum, an Ercol furniture hoarder. She and dad bought lots with a view to buying, restoring, and selling, but they never quite got round to the selling bit, mainly because mum didn’t like any strangers in the house. Even to the extent of doing plastering rather than having a plasterer in, before she was very disabled!!

When she went into residential care, AFTER I sold some of her furniture when she was in hospital previously, she ended up with over 60 dining chairs, 10 dining tables, 10 long sideboards, 4 studio couches…etc.etc. I wanted her to get rid of the furniture in her main front bedroom (unused for many years, because it was stacked so high with furniture) so that it could be redecorated and fitted with an ensuite, but she refused. Instead, she ended up in a nursing home rather than her own home for the last year of her life, and I had to completely empty and sell everything and sell her home, a large 3 bed bungalow near Bournemouth. Where was the logic in that? There wasn’t any!

Counselling made me realise that mum would never change, she was incapable of changing. However once I’d accepted this, life became easier. I gave up trying to help her change, to get rid of stuff, to eat properly, etc. etc. It was ME that could change, not her.

Your mum and dad are similar, they’ve bickered throughout their lives in a love/hate relationship, and that will never change.

Update

I hospital wouldn’t give me any details about my dad over the phone so I went to see him this evening. It seems his blood salts were low due to his medication so they need to sort that and hopefully the dizziness will stop.

He was in good enough form, although he did start complaining that it was my mum’s fault that he didn’t go to the hospital sooner. It’s always someone else’s fault, never his. Anyway the nurse thought he was more than capable of looking after himself. And to be honest he was completely fine, but I know he will slip into his old habits as soon as he gets home,

I can really see the difference in them both when they are apart. They are both calmer and more reasonable, put them together and it’s a nightmare. Obviously nothing is going to change and they will be back to fighting as soon as he returns home.

For me I need to step back now and let them get on with it. Things are never going to change, and I have to accept that.

Mary
Do you think your dad is capable of looking after himself? Will it be a safe discharge??

He is capable, until a few weeks ago he was out and about. But if he sees an opportunity for my mum to run after him he will take advantage. He has refused help in the past because he doesn’t like being told what to do. He’s capable but he just doesn’t want to do it.