Hello

Hi All, My name’s Mel. I’m 42 and am caring for my mum who has oesophageal cancer. I’m finding it really tough at the moment as we’ve now been told it’s spread to her liver, soft tissue and bones and is terminal. I’ve joined the forum so that I can chat to people who are going through or have been through similar circumstances so that I don’t feel quite so alone. Looking forward to getting to know you.

Hello Melanie
My circumstances are different to yours. Wanted to welcome you to the forum.( My own mother had oesophageal cancer many many years ago) so I understand how difficult it is for you. Sad to read you are going through this.
Have you family or friends to support you?
Others will be along soon with advice. Keep posting

HI Melanie,
welcome to the forum.
I’m sorry to hear about your Mum.

My caree has autism, but others on here have /are caring for someone with cancer.

Are you and your Mum receiving support from the MacMillan nurses and/or a hospice?

Melly1

Hi Pet 66 and Melly1,

Thanks for your replies. Support from family and friends is minimal - I live with mum so the lion’s share of the caring is falling to me.

We have recently been put in touch with the hospice although we haven’t met with any of the nurses yet. The district nurse has visited and was incredibly helpful so we do feel a little bit more supported now.

Hi Esme,

A friend of ours, has been caring for her Mum who had cancer. She could not praise the District Nurses enough. Glad you have them for support. Make the most of the support from the hospice. Several of our friends have hadvery positive experiences.

Keep posting, whenever you need to, it can really help.

Melly1