Funding Problems

Hello. I am a carer for my 98 year old mother. I receive about 9 hours assistance per week from an excellent home care company.

I recently tried to apply for some financial help from the county council. Initially they approved the application based on the figures I had given them, but after a re-calculation they stated that my mother was ineligible for financial support, and has to self-fund. I agreed with this decision, and said I accepted it.

A short while later a finance officer wanted explanations for the expenditure and withdrawals from my mother’s account which took place before the application was submitted. Has anyone else experienced similar instances when dealing with county council funding ?

Presumably she is teetering on the edge of the funding limit.
They probably think the withdrawals were a deliberate attempt to get below the limit.
They call this “Deprivation of Assets”.
Did they send you copies of their initial calculation?
Their revised calculation?
A phone call is not enough. Insist of copies of them, which can be emailed to you.

If you give us a bit more info, we can give you a bit more help.
Are you an only child?
Claiming any income related benefits?
Does mum own or rent her home?
Have over £23,000 in savings (Yes/No).
Is mum claiming Attendance Allowance?
Does mum contribute towards your expenses?

Hello Andrew, welcome to the forum

If you need further advice with this issue do call our information and support line on 0808 808 7777 from Monday to Friday, 9am – 6pm or you can contact them by email at They will be able to tell you exactly where you stand with this.

Best wishes