Financial assessment (2)

My 96 year old mother has lived with my brother in California for the last 20 years. She’s been coming twice a year to visit me.
She came for a visit on 1st March 2020 and was due to return in mid May 2000. Then Covid hit so she was unable to return. In fact she is still here as both my brother and myself consider it is safer for her not to fly. She got a refund on her unused plane ticket.
During last Autumn 2020 she decided to stay here, so my brother arranged for her possessions to be shipped over. As she was shielding and then lockdown she couldn’t get to the bank to pay the bill, so my brother paid it on her behalf.

It is only within the last few days that we have arranged payment to be reimbursed to my brother, totalling round £10,000
She has recently been diagnosed with various health conditions and is receiving home care once a day through the local authority. This is free for 6 weeks, then a financial assessment will be done.

My question is relating to the £10,000 payment and how that will be looked at. Mum came for a visit with only the things one takes on holiday. Surely she is entitled to her own possessions including furniture and family heirlooms, around her. isn’t it reasonable to accept that she wants her own things around her, as she will not be returning to California, She will be 96 years old in August.

I would like to know what to expect from the local authority regarding the financial assessment.
I have the invoice as paid by my brother and he has evidence of the ticket refund.

Judith

Judith,

this is not an area I know much about.

Having the receipts proves she wasn’t deliberately disposing of her assets to avoid paying for her care.

This information may be useful to you Returning to the UK after living abroad | Age UK

However, I think you might benefit from contacting the helpline

Our telephone Helpline is available on 0808 808 7777 from Monday to Friday, 9am – 6pm or you can contact us by email (> advice@carersuk.org> )[/quote1

Melly1

As mum has moved to the UK recently, I’m not sure that she will be entitled to anything.
Is she getting a UK pension?