Communication tips

Hi, I am looking for tips on communicating with a dementia patient. My nan only very recently has started getting irritated with me on occasion when i say something to her or give her an instruction, it is probably the case that she hasn’t understood what I am saying, and/ or thinks that i am trying to boss her around. As well as this she has also occasionally been giving me strange looks like if am odd, again it is likely that she hasn’t understood me and is confused.

Any tips on how to communicate better with her would be appreciated

Hi Yasmine,
Welcome to the forum.
I’m just on my way to bed, but here is a link for you, for now, that might be helpful https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/search?keywords=Communication+&Search=🔍

Others with experience of caring for someone with dementia will be a long tomorrow or in the next few days, with suggestions.

Melly1

Hi Yasmine,

Welcome to the Forum and sorry to hear about nan.

The Alzheimers Society has many useful articles on this but in short, I would suggest that you try to enter her world and agree with her, provide reassurance, stay calm etc. There is little point in trying to get her to enter your world sadly. This is easier said than done but in the long run will make your life easier. This book explains it better than I can. When caring for my mum, I found it useful:

Keep choices simple. Do not say “would you like a drink?” But “would you like coffee?” Or not “what would you like to wear” but " do you want to wear the blue or the red top?". If nan says, for example, she wants to go home, do not say “you are home!” but “what do you like best about your home?”

This is for people living in Berkshire but also has some good ideas:

Good luck, Anne