Caring for dying mum

Hello my name is Grant and this is the first time I have ever contacted this type of group, I work as a Multi skilled Maintenance Engineer doing 14 hour shifts , 2 days on 2 off and in the last 4 weeks I have found out that my mum has the last stages of bowel cancer and the hospital has sent her home to die , so me and my partner, sally have given up our flat and moved in with her to care for her. Sally has had to turn down a new job offer to care for her when I’m not there , we are managing quite well

Hello Grant & welcome

If this is your birth name for confidentiality you may need to change it. So sorry to hear of your Mum’s diagnosis. And that your life has had to change in order to support your Mum. You may like to read about …

There is a lot of support available you just need to let us know. If there are areas you are struggling with. And we can hopefully guide you to it.

Your partner should not have needed to turn her job offer down. With extra help put in place would she be able to take up the offer.

What assessments took place in the hospital?

Hello Grant and welcome to the forum.

I am sorry to hear about your Mum, it must be hard for you knowing what is to come.

Have you been put in touch with a local hospice re end of life care ? . As much as you may want to do it, 24/7 nursing is not something that can be sustained in the long term without outside support. You are probably going to need extra help with nursing at some point so I would suggest contacting McMillan or Marie Curie for support and help.