Carers Allowance - Annual Salary

Hi all,

Looking for a bit of advice. I started on Carers allowance in August and I earn an annual salary so was just asked to show proof of that figure which I did. I was on maternity leave April - July and earned no money whilst on these dates as it was unpaid maternity leave, I accrued quite a few holidays which I have the option to be paid for but I need to make sure that I don’t go over the earnings threshold all, I want to get this right.

So my question is, will my salary be worked out from April 19 - March 20 ( the whole tax year) or will it be worked out from the date we started till the end of the tax year ( August 19 - March 20). I am hoping its the whole tax year as it would allow me this payment for unused holidays but I have no idea.

Thanks so much, I have tried calling carers but you seem to be on hold for a very long time.


Hi Joanne.

Welcome to an extremely quiet forum as I type.

Claiming CA and juggling work … or should that be working and juggling caring ?

No matter … what matters is that weekly earning limit … currently £ 123 per week.

From elsewhere on this site :

Carer's Allowance | Carers UK


**_If you are in employment and are paid a regular amount monthly, your monthly earnings are normally multiplied by 12 months to get a yearly figure and then divided by 52 weeks to get a weekly figure.

However there are exceptions to this, such as if your earnings are variable. If you are in doubt about your own situation, please email us : >> .

If you are in employment and have fluctuating earnings, it is possible for your earnings to be averaged out over a recognisable cycle of work or over five weeks.

If you are in self-employment your average weekly earnings are normally calculated by looking at a specific trading period, which is normally a year.

However if you have only recently started your self-employment, or if there has been a change in your circumstances, then a different period more representative of your average weekly earnings can sometimes be used.

The following amounts are deducted from your gross weekly earnings (if you are in employment) or your net profit (if you are in self-employment) before your earnings are taken into account for Carer’s Allowance :

Income Tax.

National Insurance.

half of your contributions towards an occupational/personal pension’_**

A guide but a little ambiguous ?

Presumably , a tax year … 6 April to the following 5 April ?

My recommendation would be to continue to try to telephone the Carers Unit within the DWP :

Telephone : 0800 731 0297

Textphone : 0800 731 0317

After all , they are the final arbitrators in respect of possible breaches in that weekly earnings limit.

( IF UC has been rolled out on your manor , definitely phone that Carers Unit … nothing is ever straightforward once UC is mentioned ! )