Carer Needed to take my daughter to medical appointments

Hi All - I am new to the forum! Nice to meet you all :smiley:

I have a question and wonder if anyone can help. I am a full-time carer for my daughter, she’s 9 years old and has cerebral palsy. She is in an electric wheelchair but also has a manual one.

I have three other children and they’re all now in full-time school and I was hoping to get back to work (part-time / full-time). The only sticking point is that my daughter has two therapy sessions per week and I can’t seem to find an employer that will work around these.

Is there somewhere I can look to employ a child friendly carer to take her for these appointments? Are there any agencies that do this kind of thing? They would need to pick her up from school, take her to therapy and then back to school again. I am based in Liverpool.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.


Hi Joanna.

As a first port of call , the local Carers Trust centre :

0151 709 0990 … Hall Lane , Mount Vernon Green , Liverpool , L7 8TF

If there is a scheme locally , they will surely know of it … if not providing it themselves.

I will assume that you have investigated Direct Payments / Personal Budgets from your LA ?

Personal Budgets:The right social care support | Disability Rights UK

The NHS has a useful guide to what is on offer across all areas of the UK- Social care and support guide - NHS

Have you researched Direct Payments or not?

There are lots of care companies across the UK. I recommend contacting your local council to ask for a needs assessment, this is the first step of the process. Do not hesitate to ask questions of the carers as well. You need to be able to trust them completely.

This article has more information on needs assessments and how they work

Some examples (this is not a exhaustive list)

Transport to appointments
Accessing the community
Using a toilet
Finding employment
Hair brushing
Picking up medicines

I hope this is useful! For more information, read this article on paid for support workers Help at home from a carer - NHS

Bear in mind, home help is different.

Maybe it’s time to have your Carers Assessment updated so that this new need for support so that you can work is included?

Thanks so much everyone, this is really useful info! I will let you know how I get on! Have a nice day!



Your welcome.


No problem!


There are a definitely few private care agencies that can offer this type of care for your daughter. A lot of carers will have experience with taking people to medical appointments so you don’t have to worry about struggling to find someone.

I know there are a few agencies you could get in touch with:

i hope this helps, and good luck with your search!

Hi Joanna,
Is the appointment for physio? If so, it may be worth checking if she can have her sessions at school.


This is probably a good time for your daughter to get used to someone else supporting her.

Lots of people miss out on help and benefits because no one has told them what they can get, so here are a few quick questions. Money can’t make anyone better but it most certainly can make life easier.

What services does she currently receive from Social Services?
Are you
Claiming Disability Living Allowance for her?
When did Social Services last do a Needs Assessment for her?
When did they last do a Carers Assessment for you?
Have you been told about The Family Fund? They helped me and many of my friends as our disabled children were growing up, sadly the fund’s cut off point is the 16yh birthday.
When did you last go on holiday as a family?
Is your house adapted to her needs as a wheelchair user?
Is there a Young Carers Group in your area?