Care provided by care company question

My mums social worker says the time allocated is timed to allow for the tasks set out in the care plan. I.e. it should take roughly an hour to shower and give breakfast which is how long it took me when I used to have to do it. Now these manage that in 20 mins, they clearly rushed her and leave her in horrible positions and pain because of that.

My mums calls are 1hr morning, 30min lunch, 40 min dinner, 15 min nights but what she actually gets is 20-30 in the morning, 5 at lunch, 15 at dinner and 2 at night. They don’t follow the care plan, physios plan or anything.

The manger of the company has made it clear she doesn’t give a toss as weve complained so many times about the same issues over and over yet she sits on her idle backside doing nothing. We’ve also had a load of Indians, which I don’t mind, but the language barrier is horrendous. Today they were chatting away in a foreign language in front of my mum whilst completely neglecting to talk to her.

Her social workers changed 5 times in as many months and none of them have cared enough to do anything. The physios even asked the social to put her in a home so I can get a break because it’s all reached breaking point. To the point I’m installing cameras and suing the hell out of the company and council.

The care companies are nothing more than scum in cases like these.

2 Likes

That’s totally unacceptable, Jamie that she is left so uncomfortable.

It’s probably the manager who is giving staff unrealistic time-scales for each visits. The lady who supports S on my work days, does some agency work too. Often her rota doesn’t give her sufficient time with each client nor enough travel time before the next client. If she says anything she is told to work quicker!

Try the advice in this thread and keep us updated.

2 Likes

Jamie, report them to CQC. They can’t do those jobs properly in those time scales.
They sound unrealistic even for someone without special needs.
Do they clean the bath, leave the kitchen tidy? Put the rubbish out? Comb mum’s hair, plump her pillows, make her a hot drink in these times???

2 Likes

They don’t do any of those things except maybe make her a cup of tea but one day they left a scalding hot cup next to her which she dropped and suffered extensive burns on her legs, we didn’t even know as she can’t feel her legs. They’ve also dropped her on her head out her hoist and it’s just horrendous. I’ve complained to everyone going more than once and no one cares enough to do anything. The company is an utter mess, they even sack people for negligence and have them back. One of them has been sacked from 2 other jobs due to her being an incompetent ****. They even send men despite her desperately not wanting them, and make he feel embarrassed. It’s just evil for her.

Jamie - this horrendous. It’s safeguarding and abuse. Have you reported it to CQC and the adult safeguarding team in your area?

I can’t remember if the council fund her care or if she is self funding?

1 Like

The CQC are aware of the hoist incident and I know that at that time I had a meeting with with a lot of social workers, the manager and the cqc we’re supposed to attend but for some reason didn’t. They also had another safeguarding complaint for another client at the same time, I don’t know how they got away with it because if you read the cqc’s last inspection it was quite firm that the company was unsafe and not welll led and that was 3 years ago. Let me tell you it’s only gottten worse and worse in those 3 years. Yesterday she was barely spoken too by the carers as they muttered in another language.

The meeting was just a joke if I’m honest, it was more of a show trial than actually resolving issues and making them improve. I am furious about the care at then moment so I’ve made another complaint to the cqc to see if anything can be done. I’ve even highlighted all the regulations they’ve broken including prosecutable ones along with the evidence.

These companies are robbing our elderly and disabled the lives they wish to have, and the dignity one should give to one’s elders. I am prepared to take the matter to court if need be, if the authorities will not enforce her rights then I shall. If she was a child she would have taken away a long time ago and the parents imprisoned.

1 Like

She’s council funded but has to pay like &200 a month co payment.

Do the council use other agencies in addition to this one?

My advice is to be careful. Good luck.

I know for sure that this company isn’t accredited to the council. Yet on our council website it says that they can only be used by direct payments which she does not get. The whole systems a minefield.

The council brokerage team are looking for alternatives but she’s not a priority as she has a care package in place, the only reason we had this company in the first place is because the social worker lied and said they’re one of the best in the area. Yeah right that’s why they’ve got negative ratings from the cqc and everything they’ve got them as bad for we experience on a daily basis, they haven’t been inspected in over 3 years and they’ve gotten much worse and they weren’t good before. Some of the carers are such uncompasionate people it makes me wonder how they got the job and keep it. I know one’s been sacked from two special education schools for the problem yet every time she gets sacked they let her back. It’s bonkers the whole set up, even had a coordinator that quits for a week and comes back and just keeps coming and going. It’s insane. And the people they’ve importeds language skills are so shocking my mum doesn’t understand them nor they her, how can this go on?

Jamie, were the safeguarding concerns with her legs being scalded and her falling out of the hoist upheld?

In our area all the broker does is send out an email to the agencies on the council’s books who then say which new clients they can take on. Is this happening?

I have sent an email to Carers Uk advice team to see if they can advise further.

1 Like

Mum has an absolute right under the Equality Act to have a female carer, not a male carer, for any care of a personal nature, dressing, bathing etc.
Her wishes should be respected by the agency. If they are not, tell CQC.

There used to be a “zero tolerance” approach to care providers, sadly when CQC was formed, this was watered down. Now they only use complaints to “inform” their next expection.

The more complaints they get the faster they should act!!

2 Likes

From the legal point of view, with regard to hours provided, if they are claiming that they have provided X number of hours, but haven’t, that is fraud.

For serious incidents like dropping someone from the hoist/sling this should be reported to HSE (Health and Safety Executive). There are cases mentioned on their website where they prosecuted one company where a carer dropped someone out of a sling whaen getting them out of the bath. The patient hit her head an died 3 days later. They fined the Care Company ÂŁ90,000. I believe the information is correct as I read it some time ago, but check their website. I am having problems with my wifes company at the moment. Care is a nightmare. Most of the carers are very good by the way but it is the companies that are the main problem. Good luck to all of you.

3 Likes

Hi sorry this is late but I found the company my mum was with it was both staff and management, you’d even get staff bitching about the job whilst doing it. We since got a new company and the difference is night and day better, they stay the time, do everything for my mum and even have a tidy up occasionally (which is a massive help, the others would have never done anything like that).

4 Likes