Attendance Allowance confusion

I hope someone may be able to help me negotiate this confusing minefield… Promise to try to keep it simple!

Dad is 97 and has many many issues among which are macular degeneration, heart failure, postural hypotension and him failing the dementia test. He fell a few months ago and ended up in hospital and of course since he came out he has worsened. This last week is the first week he’s not had more falls. Since coming out of hospital he is now largely incontinent and unable to do much - but is improving - albeit extremely slowly. It has been determined that he needs permanent and ongoing support at home and that is happening. The journey is both frustrating and tortuous but it inches slowly forward.

My employer is simply wonderful and I can take time off at the drop of a hat and also deal with phone queries whilst at work. Some 18 months ago I reduced my hours at work to three days a week to devote 2 days (plus weekends) to him. I do everything for him including his cleaning, cooking, appts, bills, medication, home maintenance etc etc as well as operate 24/7 when he gets confused or has his all too frequent ‘accidents’. I do literally twice the annual mileage of my plumber husband running Dad around. To try to help us financially, he gives me his attendance allowance. I do not apparently qualify for carers allowance as I earn too much in my three ‘working’ days.

Now social services & health are becoming involved on a perm basis, I am petrified that I will lose the attendance allowance. If I do, it will break us as a family and I’ll be forced to try to find another job. This will then mean I can do almost nothing for him and his already poor quality of life will deteriorate even further. Firstly that will break my heart, and secondly I know his remaining time with us will be of very poor quality as he’ll simply be left sat in soiled pads for 4-8 hours unable to even turn on his TV or make a drink.

Can anyone possibly advise me about this situation? I know I’m all too emotional about it, but we have a meeting next week about the fiscal side of things so my husband and I would like to go in as armed as much as we possibly can.

Thank you everyone.

Attendance Allowance is awarded to your Grandad, not to you, although It will be suspended whilst he’s in hospital.

Hi Joanne … welcome to the forum.

Extremely quiet on 'ere as I type … so , you’re stuck with me , initially.

Two issues … care and AA ?

Care … has anyone mentioned CHC / NHS Continuing Healthcare to you ?

Offered / applied for / rejected ?

( Not even mentioned during the hospital discharge process ??? )

Main thread :

NOT an easy read … coloured coded to help find what one is seeking.

AA ?

Would ONLY be affected IF a move into a care home was on the cards.

There are others ( See below ) but that’s the main one most would experience.

AGE CONCERN … Factsheet 34 … spells this out in much greater detail … 20 pages in .pdf format :

On the reporting of a " Change in circumstances " to the AA Unit :

Change of circumstances while you're getting Attendance Allowance - Citizens Advice

You should call the DWP’s Attendance Allowance helpline if :

your condition gets better or worse.

the level of help and care you need changes.

you go into hospital for more than 28 days.

you go into a care home or residential care.

you move abroad, either temporarily or permanently.

you go into prison.


The above should be of immediate assistance pending the arrival of others to extend their welcomes and views.

Hi Ayjay
Thank you. I’m aware it is awarded to Dad, however he pays it forward to me to enable me to do what I do for him.


however he pays it forward to me to enable me to do what I do for him.


Even more so if you are claiming any INCOME related benefits or now under Universal Credit !

Joanne, does dad have over £23,000 in savings?

No he doesn’t.

What Dad pays me is simply to contribute towards my expenses of looking after him.


What Dad pays me is simply to contribute towards my expenses of looking after him.

Hundreds of thousands do but … playing devil’s advocate … are records kept that would satisfy the curiosity of … say …
the TaxMan ?

What that thread … link posted earlier … is all about … and a lot more.

Unchartered terriotity … without a clear and concise definition which is backed by Law.

Can see it’s yet another minefield. From here on in I’ll have to keep a diary at least.

The original question still remains however. Can social services or health (who are going to be providing his care) lay some claim to Dad’s AA in the current circumstances where he’s still in his own home?

No … information in the AGE UK link sets out the FULL sp.

Only IF services are offered by one’s LA does the question of AA come into play during the financial assessment element
of any Needs assessment.

Needs assesment ?

Getting a social care needs assessment - NHS

CHC / NHS Continuing Healthcare ?

If dad has under £23,000 the council should contribute something towards his care, but can only charge him after a formal financial assessment. If he only receives care during the day,not at night, they should only consider the day element of his Attendance Allowance. They MUST give you a written explanation of how they’ve arrived at the figure they arrive at.

As dad owns his property, they should make various allowances for that too.

If you haven’t done so already, start a lever arch file with all the details relating to all dad’s outgings, in separate plastic sleeves with dividers i.e. one section for utilities, one sleeve for gas, electric etc., one section for benefits, one for house insurance, etc.etc.

I used to run a small business, with various expenses through the month. We had a “spike”, just a 4" nail through a square piece of wood, you can buy similar things at a stationers, on which to keep receipts.
However, if you are spending dad’s money on dad, the best solution would be for you to be a signatory on his bank accounts, called a Third Party Mandate. Whether or not he would understand what he was signing at the moment is crucial.

If you don’t think he understands things, then ask the DWP to become his “Appointee”. Then all his benefits are paid into a separate account in YOUR NAME (as you are legally responsible for the money) and then you can pay all his bills using his money. This works very well for me, managing the money for my 40 year old son with learning difficulties.

Seconded !!!

Thank you, both of you.

We’ve set up LPAs etc and are generally getting these things sorted. I see and wholeheartedly agree with the points made. Its simply saves arguments - hopefully!

As you say, knowledge is power but when you start this journey ignorance is a form of bliss too. Now, it’s not so funny as they begin to use that same ignorance against you.

I really am very very grateful :slight_smile:

Your welcome.

Don’t ignore CHC / NHS Continuing Healthcare.

It’s THE answer to many carer’s and caree’s prayers … if you can get it ?

Please excuse me, but I was just showing my husband and we have both ended up confused!

So, does this mean that social services CAN use part of Dads AA to fund his ongoing care or not? Sorry to be thick…

It will be taken into account during the financial assessment element IF you ask for a Needs assessment ( Link posted
earlier ) leading to the possible offer of support services to be provided by the LA.

Imagine drawing up a full list of assets and income … AA will be part of that list.

When the totals are verified , only then will you know what said services will cost.

AA … to assist with the cost of additional support … and … if so provided by one’s LA ?