Acting on someone's behalf

If you need to consider making decisions on behalf of someone you care for, there is some useful guidance here exploring different options. Different ways of managing someone’s affairs | Carers UK

Does anyone have any tips?

It’s easier to get a parent to agree to a POA and write a will when they are well.
It’s also easier If you tell them that you have already written yours!

We wrote our first wills before we went to work in Australia, I was 20, husband was 24, and we owned a house. It seemed sensible to leave our affairs in order just in case something terrible happened.

The solicitor’s clerk who witnessed our wills said we were very sensible doing it so young (but with provision for future children). He really should get round to doing his. He was 56!!

Most people don’t really think about these things. It’s why I used to run sessions about it, but I found that rather than talking about “planning for the future”, which got maybe one or two people along, I ended up running “Preparing for Emergencies.” They were broader sessions covering all sorts of areas but always included a section on POA/Deputyship and Wills, to introduce the thought about it, and then a separate session on those final topics with an expert on the subject.

1 Like

Good luck. I act on people’s behalf all the time.

Thara, do you have Power of Attorney for them, or are you a DWP Appointee?

BB - Thara could be providing advocacy/“McKenzie Friend” support. Doesn’t require POA or appointeeship.

1 Like