Access to electronic daily care records?

In the days when care records were on paper, they were supposed to be left at the clients house, at all times.
Now they are all computerised. I have no access to my son’s records, although I care for him regularly.
Someone else on a facebook forum has also raised this issue.

Should a client have access to their computerised records at all times?

As sometimes I care for my son for over a week at a time, should they be shared with me?

I would argue that if any organisation describes carers as equal partners in care, then they should put their money (records in this case) where their mouth is. Actually, under the NHS Confidentiality regulations, it states that (even for carers not caring for their children):

“Carers often provide valuable healthcare and, subject to complying with the best parental responsibility practice outlined, every effort should be made to support and facilitate their work. Only information essential to a patient’s care should be disclosed and patients should be made aware that this is the case. However, the explicit consent of a competent patient is needed before disclosing information to a carer. The best interests of a patient who is not competent to consent may warrant disclosure.”
(Confidentiality - NHS Code of Practice 2003)

More recently, there is this: https://digital.nhs.uk/data-and-information/looking-after-information/data-security-and-information-governance/codes-of-practice-for-handling-information-in-health-and-care/a-guide-to-confidentiality-in-health-and-social-care - this refers back to the code of practice from 2003, which remains in force, and makes it clear that everyone in a care team needs to be kept informed of relevant information.

So yes. If they’re relying on you to care, they have a responsibility to keep you appropriately informed. Whatever their staff see - and they should only see what they need to know, legally - then so should you.

1 Like

Thanks Charles, just what I needed. You’re a star!