Top up fees

Just to clarify neither me or my brother has power of attorney . I’m applying to the court of protection for deputyship .
I pay the care top ups for home care to the care provider as I was told to by the council.
My mothers house is worth over £700,000 which would have seen her lifetime of care . Yet the council award it to my brother even though he fits into none of the disregard category . He just wrote a long letter stating it was his inheritance and it should be disregarded . I can’t help but think the fact he is a parish councillor has something to do with that outcome esp when the council on a tight budget .
Also my mother now lives with me at my home so no longer requires her home .
With regard to the financial assessment apparently it’s been done but I know nothing about the decisions made only about the house .
I have said to the council since they have deprived my mother of paying her fees through her house then surly they are now liable .
The council haven’t followed the rules stated in the care act now that I have read it . So I done my complaint to them and failing that my next step is the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman.
I’ve been paying these fees since September so yeah I feel I have been taken for a mug and forced into financial hardship . Fair to say my brother no longer visits his mother now and lives rent and bill free ha oh such a life . Seems I’m the only one with mums best interests at heart .

As mum is a “vulnerable adult” Social Services would have to intervene to make sure that she got the care that she needed. There’s a precedent I found once about this. However I agree with Jenny, the sooner you stop being a “good girl” and coughing up, the sooner it will get sorted out.

The only power your brother, or Social Services, have over you is the power you let them have. So toughen up, take a deep breath, and stop being so nice that they are walking all over you.

Once upon a time I also used to be timid …… now I’m Attilla the Hun!!!

Having now read your latest message (typing as you were) you most definitely should not pay anything at all from your own finances. The council should put a charge on the house, or wait until it’s sold.

I know haha I’m too soft I feel bad on the care company .
But your all right why the hell am I paying ha
Do I e mail the council to tell them I’m no longer going to pay ?

Hi Christine, When my Mum lived with me in my house she too had 4x2 carer visits, Mum had to pay about £70 per week towards the care costs, this was out of her pensions & Attendance Allowance, but she was still left with roughly £190 per week, I can’t imagine how you could be expected to top up home care fees. Your brother sounds like a B*****d. Hope you can get this sorted ASAP.

I’ve just got a feeling there going to say well you changed care providers . Which I did but the other company were awful she ended up with a sore due to personal cares not being done .
And at that time I was told she was a self funder so she could choose another company if we wished . Which is what I did . So why now should her care be compromised because they have disregarded the house for the benefit of my brother … it’s crazy , who is the vulnerable adult here !!!
£70 I could manage that . But £773 a fortnight leaves us both with nothing as I’m now on universal credits which is nothing to start with .
But yep I’m not going to pay anymore .
Oh he is and I’m shocked by his attitude towards her now it’s disgusting .

Christine, Does your Mother get Attendance Allowance? Why is your brother living bill free in your Mother’s house, I hope your mother isn’t still paying all the household bills?

Yes my mother gets pension and attendance allowance all of which goes towards these fees every penny and the shortfall takes all my money too .
My mum has a buisness which all the household bills are paid from yet she doesn’t seem to have any money from this buisness , it’s with my brother funny enough . But I don’t know what information he has given the financial team , they haven’t asked me about anything . So I do suspect some financial fiddling somewhere

Then involve the Office of the Public Guardian.
make a “Safeguarding” complaint to Social Services and let them investigate thoroughly, to check that your brother is not financially abusing mum,
In the meantime, STOP PAYING!

I put a safeguarding on him about that but still waiting to hear about that too …
yes I’m going to ha
I thank you all for your advice

Hello Christine
I have court of Protection for my husband. You will find that many questions will be asked about your mother’s finances. Quite intrusive, but in your case it may be very much in your favour!! The solicitor asked me about additional family members I would like as.deputies. I said my daughters, but you will be able to say you don’t feel your brother is suited, and why.

I think you should ask your brother for payment for all the years of care you have provided.
Who is going to inherit the house?
I think I might be able to guess who the executor is???